Recent content by Bird Doo Head

1. Bird Doo Head

Out of Plumb Flange

Thanks for the reminder about the Ram-Bit, John. Unfortunately, the mis-glued socket on the elbow is the horizontal end, so I can't get a Ram-Bit in without cutting the horizontal. I picked up a P3005-33 at the supply house. I'll cut the horizontal and use it to rotate the mistake away. I...
  2. Bird Doo Head

Long Sweep versus Short Sweep Question

Thanks! I'll give the 3" street a try. Paul
  3. Bird Doo Head

What's clocking me in the head here is the fact that the joists are nominal 4 x 6. If I had a more modern house with 2 x 8's or better, I'd be in business and not have to bother you guys so much! Even if the sub floor, underlayment & tile were just a mere 1" thicker ...! I searched and...
  4. Bird Doo Head

Thanks Guys! That's a great idea to get diamonds involved! Sometimes I don't see what's smack, dab in front of my face. I just used my dry-cut 4" to pre-score some concrete for a clean break out. Paul
  5. Bird Doo Head

Thank You Basement_Lurker & HJ! For the ceiling, I appreciate the warning! It is just 2x2's and a couple of tree branches holding up the closet ceiling. I don't know why the original contractor went so low, but the original installation was done (I assume) in the 1910's or 20's when this...
  6. Bird Doo Head

SPDT double-throw switch

This Was Fun To All Who Took The Time To Post On This Thread, This thread was a fun one! Thank you for letting me join in. It is nice when people can have differing opinions and enjoy a pleasant back-and-forth! (Somehow, the NEC seems to instigate this often.) I want to wish all who read...
  7. Bird Doo Head

Thanks for replying! I was trying to avoid the 4 x 3 so I don't have to enlarge the hole in the tiled floor to fit the 4" part. I'll surely find a way to wreck some tiles along the way! But, if a 3" elbow is not good for the job and a 4 x 3 closet bend is what's proper; I'll open the floor...
  8. Bird Doo Head

SPDT double-throw switch

I suppose your interpretation of the reason the paragraph exists could be valid. But, as we all know, each AHJ has their own take on things. I'd be more inclined to pass a shared circuit if the outlet sharing with the heater was a single receptacle outlet on the yoke and it was blocked by the...
  9. Bird Doo Head

Hi Jimbo I looked at the part (4 x 3 Ell) but I don't understand what you're telling me. Is it that it is OK to use a long sweep? (Actually a normal 3x3 short sweep would fit in the bay, if that's allowed & would work.) Thanks, Paul
  10. Bird Doo Head

SPDT double-throw switch

Hi All It looks like this thread got kind of grouchy! (Hopefully all in good fun!) It also looks confusing. The writer, Ken, has lots of great responses from you folks. If you all don't mind, I'd like to offer my thoughts on the matter for Ken to also consider: My Thoughts: A) I...
  11. Bird Doo Head

Good Day Everyone! I have a project coming up where I'd like to 'elevate' a toilet waste line. Right now, it runs horizontally in a very low ceiling storage closet. The closet is going to be removed. Ideally, the horizontal pipe will be raised to be in the joist bay. This way the ceiling height...
  12. Bird Doo Head

Remote P Trap

Good Point! Thanks for the note about unclogging the drain. I didn't even think about how difficult it would be to send an auger through a trap from a, more or less, horizontal approach. My house has a similar set up on the main line (but a "U" Trap). The cleanouts are inaccessible (built in...
  13. Bird Doo Head

Remote P Trap

Hi Everyone! I've got a P Trap question that I would appreciate advice on. I searched the forum and managed to get myself all confused. Here's the crazy situation: I want to add a bathtub in the existing half bath on the second floor. The drainage piping for the existing toilet and sink are...
  14. Bird Doo Head

Mystery Valve

If I bang my head on it one more time, I'm afraid I will permanently change the relative position of the island known as my brain! Got to put something in front of it soon! Thanks for the info about it being a sewer shut of valve. It does make sense, as this area of the city was well known...
  15. Bird Doo Head

Mystery Valve

Plumbing's been on my mind al lot these days, with projects. So, I've been here for hours on end, studying and asking. An often forgotten plumbing question popped into my head today (when I bashed my noggin' on it again!) In my basement is a Mystery Valve. It sticks out of the wall, at about...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks