Recent content by Billyh

1. Billyh

Need advice on what to do regarding 60 year old basement & problems...

I posted this on the DIY website because it is not plumbing related but I figured I get pretty good help here so why not try here too. This is a long-ish explanation so I appreciate any help I can get. My house is built on Canadian Shield (rock) and on a slope. I have a crawl, about 6ft to...
  2. Billyh

Replacing lines on hwt

Thank you. I had to replace both the lower line (near ground) and the one on the top. So, I ended up draining it. Your answers definitely made this easier! Thank you.
  3. Billyh

Water coming out tub spout when supplied - whether on or off

I have now supplied it with hot water and it no longer leaks. I have no idea why it is designed this way... it seems to not make any sense. I got my hot water to it now and it is fine. If I shut off the hot water again, it leaks! Thank you very much everyone for the help.
  4. Billyh

Replacing lines on hwt

I am 99% sure of this but just in case there is a way around it... Can I replace the lines on a hwt without draining the entire tank? I am assuming not because it's under pressure... but thought I would ask anyhow.
  5. Billyh

I pulled the cartridge and it looks fine (although I'm not certain of what to look for exactly). There was no debris on it and there was a little bit of grease. I will wait until I can get hot water to it as well. Maybe, somehow, having only cold water flow in is torquing the cartridge? I...
  6. Billyh

Hey Hj, As usual, thanks for the reply. Do you have some sort of paypal account that we can donate to so you can pick up a coffee or two to drink while you type these out? :) I'm fairly certain everything is piped properly. I have the hot and cold coming in on the horizontal, copper...
  7. Billyh

I just hooked up a moen shower/spout combo and as soon as I turn on the cold water supply to the faucet, it comes out the spout. If I turn the faucet all the way, both ways, it doesn't change the flow at all. It is a very slow flow. There is a good chance I did something wrong (well duh) but...
  8. Billyh

Gas HWT clearances from doors, other intakes

It is 5'10" to the joists and then another 8" (well less than 8") to the floor above. I checked and the height of the tank is 55" + 12" clearance = 67". Since I am getting a smaller tank, it looks like it might fit, however, I heard it is also recommended to raise the tank a little bit? Thanks...
  9. Billyh

Gas HWT clearances from doors, other intakes

I did a search and I cannot find the answer, or if there is a specific answer. I live in Ontario and I would like to know the clearances for a gas hot water tank (from anything). If you have these, please share or point me to a link. Here is the backstory: I have an electric hot...
  10. Billyh

How to angle ABS

This may seem like a ridiculous question... but I am wondering... What is the proper way to angle horizontal ABS drainage pipes? If you connect the pieces, they seem to want to stay straight. Example: Connect a vertical pipe to a 1/4 turn and add in a horizontal pipe, the horizontal pipe wants...
  11. Billyh

"weir must not be above trap opening"

Thanks for the clarification on these. Hopefully it will help others as well! Now, for something a little simpler... I have a joist that is partially in the way of my flange. Assuming that I would rather not use an offset flange (due to the restriction), is it commonly allowed to attach a 1/8...
  12. Billyh

Thanks! Found that out a bit after I posted. So, as for this WC connection.... Can someone point me to a good post that explains what bends you are, are not allowed to have before it hits a vent? Are you allowed to angle down 45 degrees to the main waste? Or do you have to drop vertically...
  13. Billyh

Thanks for the help. If you search for "Fixture arm defined" in google, the first hit will have a diagram. It states that figure B is correct while figure C is not because the vent opening cannot access the gasses that are isolated at the weir (or exit water level in p-trap). Is this not...
  14. Billyh

On Demand Hot Water and HomeRun Manifold Systems

Is there any reason not to consider an on demand hot water tank on the basis of having a homerun manifold system? I'm not sure if this system is affected differently to a conventional one. Thanks for your time. PS. I've been reading a while but finally decided to post a few questions...
  15. Billyh

I've read quite a few posts and the rule that I am having the most difficulty adhering to is the: "weir must not be above the trap opening" of course, I will adhere to it but it is a pain. I am in Ontario so, assume international plumbing code (until I find out otherwise) --- Now, is...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks