Recent content by big dripper

1. big dripper

Calcite Media in tub and toilets

Set up properly and placed before the pressure tank, an AN upflow Calcite filter will not flow backwards regardless if whether the pump is running, or the house is being served water via the pressure tank. There would be no backwashing valve here. If you well produces, say, 5-7 gpm, then the...
  2. big dripper

You can remove the filter before the AN filter if a backwashing valve is added. That may not solve the problem of getting the sandy particles to go away at first but should be corrected soon due to reversing the flow and letting the Calcite act as a filtermedia as well as an AN. An AN filter...
  3. big dripper

Is the system placed before or after the pressure tank? What is the diameter and height of the tank? What is your water pressure settings? What color is the 'sandy' particles?
  4. big dripper

Aquapure now installed--water is not as slippery as I expected

For water spots, use an acidic solutio , like a vinegar/water mix, to remove spots caused by hardwater.
  5. big dripper

Regen Draw time ??

bsnider, there is not a 'tremendous negative difference' in these circumstances. Your softener will work just fine with lengthy pauses between regenerations. You might want to manually regenerate it once in while for peace of mind but there is no need to worry, this of course depends on your...
  6. big dripper

Regen Draw time ??

bsnider, we have seasonal pulls (to prevent from freezing) that go idle for months and months and have been working fine for years and years. You really needn't worry. Resins area actually much tougher than some are lead to believe, kind of like limescale.
  7. big dripper

Regen Draw time ??

You should not be too concerned if your water use over a 15-day period is minimal. Your resins won't get fouled. Now, if you had heavy use over the same time, then yes, I would recommend a more frequent regeneration. There are advantages to more frequent compared to infrequent regenerations, but...
  8. big dripper

salty water from conditioner

Chlorine, being a powerful oxidizer, is most likely finding minerals in the water and causing precipitation. This is common in many solution tanks that operate likes yours.
  9. big dripper

Like this that 'frooze up' due to moisture. Culligan said it wasn't repairable at the cost of replacing it.
  10. big dripper

Here is Culligan's Super S system with pump. It sounds like your's is a homemade job. Saturating the carbon with large volumes of strong bleach often enough with shorten the life of the carbon fairly quickly.
  11. big dripper

I was told by a Culligan guy that this sulfur unit (Culligan Super S) draws a gallon a at time and has an pump attached. Gary23, is this what you have for a "chlorination system"?
  12. big dripper

As I undertood that you already had a chlorination system and one might think that the carbon is not handling water of an unknown biological quality. Rebedding a carbon tank is not difficult unless you prefer it be done by those who are familair with doing it. I would like to know more about...
  13. big dripper

Some threads unravel, some get tangled.
  14. big dripper

I hope he doesn't mind my quoting him in saying that softened water works as well as hydrochloric acid in dissolving limescale...only a bit more slowly. That's a classic one. http://www.chemistryinyourcupboard.org/harpic/3 Gary23, sorry this is yet another thread that has gotten way out...
  15. big dripper

Absolutely not. Cold water can be completely soft and the hot many, if not scores of grains hard, clearly indicating the softener is not consistent. Just today I visited a home where the cold water had 1 grain hardness (regnerated earlier that day) and the hot had 32 grains, because the softener...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks