Recent content by Benj

1. Benj

Whole house carbon tank filter recommendations.

Hello all, I'm interested in putting in a carbon tank filter to remove chlorine (and potentially other impurities) from my public water source. I previously had a 1.5 cu ft GAC system with a Fleck backwash valve when I lived on the west coast which worked well. I assume I'll get a system...
  2. Benj

PEX pipe question

I'm not a professional plumber but have put in a bit of PEX in a couple houses and haven't noticed that there are layers in the pipe, as it looks like it's through and through all the same plastic.
  3. Benj

Septic Problem - Effluent filter clogging regularly?

Hello all, We bought out house 2 years ago and also have had the outlet filter of the septic clog multiple times. I have to clean it every 2 months or it clogs. There are two tank with a T on the inlet to the first tank as well as T's on the outlet for the first tank and inlet for the 2nd...
  4. Benj

Buderus G115/3 oil fired boiler - service

Hello there, I'm in the process of buying a house that has in-floor hydronic heating with a Buderus G115 boiler that was installed in 2002. I called the company that serviced in in May of 2017 and they say they only check the oil fuel supply, burner, heats up to specs and vent. There is...
  5. Benj

Stinky front loader Bosch washing machine - what to do?

My wife does laundry pretty much every day. It may stink a little more after a load, as it's pretty strong smell on opening the door to take a load out, but even when we've been away for a week, it's still pretty bad. We have city water that is chlorinated and has below threshold lead, arsnic...
  6. Benj

Yes...we always leave the door open unless it's washing a load. I've done several cycles with a couple cups of bleech and hot water. Doesn't seem to make any improvement.
  7. Benj

Hello there, I wasn't sure where to post this question so I hope here is OK. I've had a Bosch front loader washing machine for about 5 years. It's a WFMC2201UC/12 machine. I've cleaned it out the best I can without taking the whole thing apart but it still smells terrible (so bad that we...
  8. Benj

Water filter to remove lead, thalium, arsnic

Thanks again dittohead and Reach4. I guess, in regards to processed municipality water it's a trade-off and finding the sweet-spot. It's crazy how much water is wasted per person/day in the US. When I was a kid we had water from a spring that went dry sometimes in the summer so we got good at...
  9. Benj

We buy locally grown organic as much as possible. We eat very little processed food. The only reason the water came up is because of the levels that showed up in lab work and the fact that it tastes bad everywhere here...Gig Harbor, Tacoma, Puyallup, etc... Air quality seems decent on this...
  10. Benj

We sent a water sample from a faucet of one of our sources and it came up with the lead, thallium and arsenic...just below EPA allowed limits. We sent blood samples and all of these were borderline for a couple family members, presumably from the water. We are buying bottled water now. We...
  11. Benj

Thanks for the replies. I assumed reverse osmosis would be needed but I've read about some other newer ones that aren't reverse osmosis that supposedly remove these contaminants. It's overwhelming looking at the variety of reverse osmosis systems out there. I assume the cheaper ones either...
  12. Benj

Lead vs Lead-Free solder

I've only done soldering on houses I've owned, but I've always found that it works best if you heat up the pipe about 3/4" back from the end while at the same time keep tapping the solder on the other side of the pipe until it starts to melt, heat for just a little longer then take the heat away...
  13. Benj

Hello there, Can anyone recommend a good water filter to remove lead, thalium, and arsnic? Would be nice to be able to take out the pesticides and other crap too. thanks.
  14. Benj

Rerouting sewer drain on outside of house?

I just ended up drilling a 4" hole through the basement wall below grade and running the 3" ABS out through the wall, a 3" to 4" Fernco connecting to 4" SCH 40 DWV. I'm a little dissapointed in the SCH 40 DWV pipe...cellular core with a very thin layer of dense PVC on the inside and outside...
  15. Benj

Rerouting sewer drain on outside of house?

It ties into something, however, this is a 90 year old house and some of the drains I've dug up are segmented concrete which are nearly obstructed. I'm planning to put in a new patio in the line where the drain would run outside the house, so I want to put in good drain now rather than relying...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks