Recent content by Bcarlson78248

1. Bcarlson78248

Floor joists in the way of new toilet and shower

We have a new side porch that is fully enclosed and waiting for plumbing and electrical. When I looked at the plumbing layout and the location of the floor joists, it looks like both the toilet and the shower are directly over floor joists. I'm trying to figure the best solution to work around...
  2. Bcarlson78248

Input on Rheem Power Vent water heaters

I have an old (1992) gas water heater that needs replacing, and during the replacement I would like to get rid of the existing 3" metal flue and use a horizontal vent. This is all part of an ongoing renovation, where I'm trying to reduce the number of flues I need to frame around in the new...
  3. Bcarlson78248

Does a Yard Hydrant That is Not Connected to the House Require a Permit?

Since you need to screw on a garden hose connection to use it, I don't see any reason to require a permit. The hose bib is part of a compliant/permitted plumbing system, and this is just a temporary connection. Its just like using a portable sprinkler that you happen to have locked down so it...
  4. Bcarlson78248

Removing old adhesive from concrete

When I was trying to remove adhesive under old VAT I found this product that got a lot of good reviews, but I never actually used it. https://products.franmar.com/products/mastic-adhesive-remover-for-concrete-bean-e-doo Its not petroleum based , so its not supposed to infuse anything into the...
  5. Bcarlson78248

Converting floor drain to cleanout

Its not really the answer to your question, but when I installed a basement floor drain I used this one by Sioux Chief https://www.siouxchief.com/products/drainage/residential/floor-drains/weldone It is floor drain with a plug you can remove to use it as a cleanout. It also has a knockout...
  6. Bcarlson78248

Need to tap into gas line

If you are running gas lines its best to look at the overall needs of the house. When they installed my new gas boiler they were able to T into the 3/4" line for the gas water heater because it was large enough. When they set up the connection for my gas dryer they were able to T into the 3/4"...
  7. Bcarlson78248

“Properly grounded” - GFCI “no equipment ground”?

Have you already picked out a tankless hot water heater, and it is gas or electric? Is the receptacle you need just to provide electricity for the controls for the tankless HWH? Bruce
  8. Bcarlson78248

Bidet Causing Lights to Flicker

All printers are not created equal, and some laser printers draw quite a bit more power than others. Having a 600 watt bidet on the same circuit as a laser printer is not a good idea because you never know when both will be drawing power. Technically a 15 amp circuit may be enough, but you are...
  9. Bcarlson78248

Recirculating Pump Installation

I've looked at various diagrams for recirculating systems, and I think the answer to your question depends on where you have one-way valves installed, and how you determine when to turn off the pump. I don't know the real answer, but this is my educated guess for why they want you to connect...
  10. Bcarlson78248

New farm sink drain is SLOOOOOOOWWW

When they renovated our kitchen they connected the new sink and disposal to a stub of existing iron horizontal drain pipe. The pipe was old and had been unused for several months, so it apparently had corrosion and junk built up in it. When they first installed the sink they were convinced...
  11. Bcarlson78248

Plumbing PEX questions

You will make a lot of connections at the PEX manifold during installation, and you may want to use it often to turn off the water, so I would not put it under a cabinet or any other location that is hard to reach. However, the location is up to you. I put my PEX manifold in the wall that runs...
  12. Bcarlson78248

Alternatives for high efficiency tank gas water heater

The HTP Phoenix is a very interesting product, but I'm not sure my hot water usage will justify the price difference for moving to that efficiency. Bruce
  13. Bcarlson78248

Need advice on tub vent being outside the wall

I don't want to pretend that I actually know what I'm doing with plumbing vents, but doesn't the vent connection to a horizontal pipe need to be rotated so the vent connection is in the upper half of the 2" drain (above the water flow)? Bruce
  14. Bcarlson78248

Rough in for shower head

What are they going to use as a moisture barrier over the cement board? I'm not experienced with installing tile in a shower, but my understanding is that cement board still allows moisture penetration, so you need to used Schluter Kerdi membrane or RedGard, or some other means to make it...
  15. Bcarlson78248

New To Hydronics Have Questions About New House Boiler System

I have one kitchen toe-kick heater that is tube and fin, and IIRC it did not come with a bleed valve as part of the assembly. However, I added an inline ball valve shutoff at the heater and the shutoff valve had a bleeder fitting with a cap that screwed off. I don't know why tube and fin...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks