Recent content by aussie78

1. A

floor deflection

I was told not to notch any of the old joist for strength. And, besides they run about 2"-3" from the bottom of the joist. So I don't think it would be good to take out that much material. I'm pretty much just waiting for my wife to make some room in this one so we can "git 'r' done". I...
  2. A

floor deflection

thanks again guys... I think i'll just bring in the wood and stack them tight like you said. I'll also try a pole in the centre of the floor for now and see if it does what I want. For a bunch of "old plumbers" you sure know what you're talking about. :D AUSSiE
  3. A

floor deflection

since I started on the path of renovating my house I have only thought of how I could make the same outcome with less money. At the very least, doing it right. :D If it could be done better than that, then great - will do (if cash permits). So... I think some plywood on the other side of the...
  4. A

floor deflection

the wiring is closer to the end of the joist than the centre - say 10"-15" from the end. 2/3rds of a new joist would be ok, but hows the shear strength of these joists (I don't know the species, but it is 25yrs old) I would be concerned with the old joists failing under the load of the extra...
  5. A

floor deflection

when my cat walks on the floor the whole thing moves! - and it ain't a 30 pound cat either! It pretty much is such an annoyance that it needs to be done. Someone walking by the tv and it rocks back and forth on its stand. I just can't let it go anymore. I took a little more of a look at all...
  6. A

floor deflection

It does have bridging from when the house was built (I think) They are 2x2s at an X between the joists. I was going to replace them all with the extra 2x8s I have. It looks like there really is no easy way to do this then... removing the wires seems to be about the only way :mad: Any...
  7. A

floor deflection

TedL... what do you mean by bridging? Is that running wood perpendicular to the joists? I want to keep as much headroom as possible as the joists are only 7'6" from the floor already. AUSSiE
  8. A

floor deflection

can't put in a beam with a support underneath as that will destroy the overall view in the soon to be theatre in that location. I will have some help - but my brother and friends are just as clueless as I am about this. Maybe I'll pull all the wiring out from one side and go from there...
  9. A

floor deflection

since I have moved into my new home (25yrs old) 6months ago, I have noticed a lot of floor deflection in my family room upstairs. the floors were constructed from 2x8 at a 12-13 foot span on 16" centres. I have the joists sitting in my front yard waiting for the day I have enough guts to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks