Recent content by Atom

1. Atom

Bosch 1600H Experience

Yes, and complicated by the fact that the shower valve is a flow regulating device itself, plus a big lag time between the heater and a shower.
  2. Atom

Bosch 1600H Experience

Here's another thing. We've had this almost a year and since I got the igniter working correctly, it's been giving very satisfactory service. But, recently we were doing some repair work in the shower that my wife and I primarily use. While we're doing this my wife starts using the shower that...
  3. Atom

Bosch 1600H Experience

I thought I'd add another chapter in this story. The latest thing to happen was finding that the wire leading to the igniter electrode was arcing through the insulation to adjacent metal parts on the unit. I discovered this when the unit failed to light after several tries. I fixed the problem...
  4. Atom

Secondary condensate drain installation

I have learned there is a product called a wet switch which will detect the presence of water in the secondary pan and turn off the AC when it happens. My evaporator case is such that I could install one of these on the inside of the condenser. Is this ever done?
  5. Atom

Secondary condensate drain installation

Both of my AC units are in my attic so I want to make sure the secondary drain is working properly. I just had one unit replaced. The primary drain is working and piped to the house sewer system. The secondary drain on the collector pan is capped, but there is a large pan under the entire...
  6. Atom

Replace AC unit

Back to square one. Today my AC guy came and pronounced the compressor dead, so I've ordered a new 3 ton condenser and evaporator coil (Goodman R-410A). He said he would come and start it up once I've got it installed. I've already demo'ed the old stuff. Re-installation seems reasonably straight...
  7. Atom

Replace AC unit

It happens that my fears of a totally dead condenser were unfounded. They came back today and replaced the starting capacitor on the compressor and it's now running again. Thanks again to everyone for your help.
  8. Atom

$5 gas

What you meant to say was that diesel has more energy content per volume, not per unit of mass. The heating value of gasoline and diesel on a per Kg basis are about the same with gasoline being slightly higher.
  9. Atom

Replace AC unit

They have been working for me a long time, so I trust them, but it did occur to me that they screwed up. The lead person on the call was someone who has been here many times, but he did have a kid with him who I'd never seen before. Only way I'll find out is if they tell me. This is one of the...
  10. Atom

Replace AC unit

Well, I went out and got a window unit this morning which will at least allow me to be in my office until I can figure out what to do. I did have a phone call with the my AC repair service (they were just here the other day and charged me about $300 to put in a start kit for the compressor and...
  11. Atom

Replace AC unit

I'm simply going to ask him if he will install it if I buy it. He can always say no. I have done most of my own home repairs my entire life and no doubt saved a bunch of money in the process. I do not owe a contractors, doctors, and lawyers a living. They are entitled to what they earn and I'm...
  12. Atom

Replace AC unit

Thanks jimbo. What are your thoughts on R22 vs 410? I know the 22 is being phased out, but there are evidently some issues with the 410, especially when converting an existing system. I've done some reading in the meantime, and I think what I might try to do is just buy the materials myself and...
  13. Atom

Replace AC unit

My house has 15 yrs old. It has 2 Goodman AC units, 1 for up and 1 for down. The up unit (CK-30 1B) has bit the dust. I would like to replace it with a 3 ton unit and do as much of the work as possible myself. The evaporator coil was replaced about 5yrs ago. I'm thinking of a 13 SEER 3 ton...
  14. Atom

Bosch 1600H Experience

I have noticed that the igniter will sometimes spark and the pilot does not light. This was happening yesterday. I have measured the gas pressure so I'm confident that is not a problem.
  15. Atom

Bosch 1600H Experience

Thanks for the comments. One of the things that happened early on was that the Bosch technician had me set the water flow to minimum. I left it there on the assumption that he knew what the best settings would be. However, recently I changed the water flow from min to max. This seems to have had...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks