Recent content by Atl_Rob

1. Atl_Rob

Help me decipher this rough-in

Yeah looks like everything is off by lunch like 8 inches or so. The opposite wall is the back of stairs also , so the room couldn’t be moved forward. Maybe the plumber mismeasured or he didn’t have the plans with the right measurements.
  2. Atl_Rob

This basement was somewhat framed for finish when I bought it. Basically the internal walls are all built, and I have LVL beams in some areas that require large opening under the structure. This wall runs perpendicular to the joists and there is a shorter wall up above it on the first floor...
  3. Atl_Rob

Yes, the pipe behind the toilet is 13.5 inches away (edge to center) so it was definitely designed to be in the wall. If I moved the toilet back, I would still have to contend with the other pipe if it’s not in the wall.
  4. Atl_Rob

Yeah I said the same thing when I first saw it. The other pipes I could work with but the toilet so far from the wall is a problem. Every house in my neighborhood is unique so nothing to compare unfortunately.
  5. Atl_Rob

I cannot “move” the long wall since it’s structural. But I was thinking I would frame in front of it. The room on the other side will never be finished so I would always have easy access to the pipes. The short wall can be moved but I don’t see a reason to do it. Edit: I misunderstood you...
  6. Atl_Rob

Thanks for the answer! This was my assumption as well - but with the weird placement with respect to the wall I wasn’t 100% sure. The vent already runs up through the floor above and the vent is capped at the bottom. I assume it’s already going all the way to the roof. The problem is the wall...
  7. Atl_Rob

Yes, there’s a wooden stake with the top painted red right next to what I assume is a shower drain. Pipe on the right/back. Also there is a piece of rebar sticking through the concrete next to what I assume is the sink drain - the 2 inch pipe closest to the vent pipe above. I though it was...
  8. Atl_Rob

Trying to figure out what needs to be done here. The pipes don’t make sense to me with respect to the wall. Seems like a miscalculation of where the framed wall was going to be. If that’s the case, should I go through the trouble of moving the pipes back by 6 inches or so, or could I just...
  9. Atl_Rob

Review my water heater design

Thanks for your reply! That's a good question. Somehow it is currently working, that is, all upstairs and downstairs bathrooms get near instant hot water. I probably have an efficiency problem (water circulating faster through one of the water heaters). If you can think of an easy fix...
  10. Atl_Rob

Review my water heater design

Hi all, I'm about to replace a couple of old failing water heaters and I wanted to double-check that my design is sound. The current system works but I believe it's not plumbed correctly. Each water heater feeds a separate floor and each has recirculation return line. The return lines are...
  11. Atl_Rob

Replace two water heaters with one?

Thanks for the advice. I'll go with the same setup as you suggested. I got a hold of a local contractor through Home Depot and they quoted me $3,300 for everything. The heaters themselves are $615 each, so this seems like a total robbery. I'm comfortable doing the work myself, but not sure...
  12. Atl_Rob

Replace two water heaters with one?

Hi everyone, I currently have two 50 gal gas water heaters supplying hot water to my home. It's a large home with 5 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms currently occupied by a family of four (myself, wife, and two kids). None of us has ever ran out of hot water. We will potentially be finishing the basement...