Recent content by astraelraen

1. astraelraen

Iron staining, Sulfur smell, water options

Well I finally got all the fittings and installed it today. It took probably 2 1/2 hours once all was said and done. I've still got a microscopic leak coming from one of the fittings that goes into the bypass valve, but it's literally like one drip every 5 minutes.... so I'm not worried about it...
  2. astraelraen

I assume the tubing in my picture above is PEX? It did not look quite like the PEX piping at the store, it appears more rigid to me than the stuff at the store. I see an identifying mark of PEX1006? on some of the piping but nothing else that makes any sense to me. It appears to be just over 1"...
  3. astraelraen

Pipe sizing is annoying. The online vendor I got my water filter from said that everything is measured internal diameter, but it seems to me looking at all these fittings that everything is actually measured using the outside diameter of the pipe. Tubing that is labeled 1" is clearly 1"...
  4. astraelraen

Sorry, my post was confusing. In the past we have used a carbon block and it eliminated the smell for a few months (I assume until the block "ran out") I purchased a 1.5cf Centaur Carbon fleck 5600 filter. The plan is to install it this weekend unless I chicken out... kinda wary of doing it...
  5. astraelraen

I know it's been awhile and I see there have been some additional posts, just wanted to update. I removed the anode from my water heater and replaced it with an aluminum rod. The old rod was approximately 2 years old and didn't appear to have anything wrong with it other than mineral/scale...
  6. astraelraen

I didn't get a chance to chlorinate this weekend. We are going on vacation for a week soon and won't have a chance to do anything/make any decisions until we get back from that. I'm still considering doing a water softener for hardness/iron removal and a backwashing carbon filter for sulfur...
  7. astraelraen

I measured the space I have available. There is a raised platform next to the water heater and space on the floor next to the pressure tank. The raised platform is 17"x31" the area next to the pressure tank is 16"x31" Height is not a problem. Most retention tanks above 40 gallons appear to...
  8. astraelraen

I agree the tests do end up adding up. I think I'm already up to 50-60 or so in home tests. If I have a lab do the bacteria it will be another 70-100 on top of that. How does that unit work since it doesn't have a pump? Does it use the flow of the water to meter how much of the chlorine is...
  9. astraelraen

I don't want to grow bacteria, but I also don't want to buy a chlorinator if it is not necessary :) You seem to imply I shouldn't use carbon, or that carbon should only be used in conjunction with chlorine? That makes sense if there is a bacteria problem, and I will test for bacteria if I go...
  10. astraelraen

I have contacted a few online resellers and all of them have told me I need to add chlorine injection. I'm still skeptical of chlorine. Could a properly sized water softener and a properly sized backwashing carbon filter (not a disposable) potentially solve my problems? Wouldn't the water...
  11. astraelraen

Per this website I should use about 2.25 gallons of bleach in my well to chlorinate it. I have traditionally used ~1 gallon. This could be part of the reason why I can never get rid of some of my problems, if in fact it is a bacteriological problem. Our well is 380 feet deep, 6" casing. That...
  12. astraelraen

The well is 2 years old. There were no coliforms when it was dug. I did an "at home" coliform test earlier this year which came back negative. I'm thinking about just having a lab do a coliform/iron bacteria/sulfur bacteria/whatever other bacteria test to get a concrete yes or no on bacteria...
  13. astraelraen

We have no "slime" or clumping in the toilet tank and do not have any chlorination or toilet tank cleaner that we use regularly in the toilet tank. The Kinetico rep did mention that the toilet tank water appeared to have an "oily" sheen or film to the top of the water that was broken and...
  14. astraelraen

It sounds like I need to have the water tested for iron and sulfur bacteria then to know for sure if there is a bacteriological problem? Another reason we are hesitant to go with a softener is that we have an "advanced" septic system that requires annual monitoring by the state. The company...
  15. astraelraen

I posted this on another forum, but I decided to pose the question here too as I have read a few good articles from here. We have well water and had the Kinetico guy come out today to chat with us about our water. Culligan is coming out Wednesday to give us a proposal. Here are the stats...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks