Recent content by AlexS

1. AlexS

Connect Water Meter Pigtail To New Poly (PE) Water Line

Thank you all. Trenching was the hardest part, not calculating proper pipe size as I said earlier.
  2. AlexS

New Water Line - Should I Reduce Pipe Size For the Copper Ground?

I'll have the HW Tank grounding checked by an electrician. I don't know the difference between EMT and BX conduit. I do know the difference between #12 and #10 wire. Thanks
  3. AlexS

Makes sense. If the conduit grounds the HW tank to the panel, what was the purpose of the ground wire going from the HW tank to the cold water pipe? Before I changed to PEX inside, there was a ground wire attached to the top of the HW tank on one end and the cold water pipe on the other end...
  4. AlexS

1950 wiring to HW tank; two hot wires in conduit from the panel and no ground.
  5. AlexS

Makes sense now. I thought that's what you really meant. I thought a gradual transition from 300' of 1 1/4" Poly to 1" for the last 10' before going through the foundation to 3/4" inside the house might be a good idea. I guess my gut thought the water would hit somewhat of a wall going from...
  6. AlexS

The ground is actually for the Hot Water tank because the HW tank is located at the opposite end of the basement from the electrical panel. What did you mean by the copper is still "boned" though? Was that a typo? Thanks for your help!
  7. AlexS

You mean no benefits using 1/1/4" 300' to the meter? Or no benefit reducing from 1 1/4" to 1" copper (10' ground), then to 3/4" once inside the house? Oh, Activia? That's hillarious!!
  8. AlexS

I'm running 1 1/4" Poly 300' from the meter to the house. The main arterials inside the house are 3/4" which is adequate due to the house being 1,300 sq. w/ 1 bathroom and no outdoor irrigation. My question is whether there is any benefit to transitioning the 1 1/4" Poly to 1" copper for the...
  9. AlexS

I consider calculating pipe size the hardest part, not the actual work. I really appreciate all your posts Reach. I'm going with 1/1/4". I already have a 300' roll of 1 1/4". I bought 200 PSI CTS. Did I make a mistake? Should I have purchased IPS? I think the inside dimensions are the...
  10. AlexS

I do recall Terry said 1 1/4". I'm taking all the risk and I want to be sure. In summary, a 1 1/4" pipe would mitigate the pressure drop due to a 10' elevation gain and 300' of friction better than a 1" pipe considering 52 PSI from the meter? I looked at the engineeringtoolbox link, but I...
  11. AlexS

I'll be measuring the PSI with a gauge tomorrow. I called the local water utility company and they looked in their computer system and told me my meter produces 52 PSI. I know I shouldn't take their word for it, but they are probably close to actual PSI. My point was: If pressure is strong at...
  12. AlexS

As long as there is enough pressure to push the larger quantity of water in the larger line to keep up with demand? In other words, if the PSI from the meter was strong, say at least 70 PSI, then I probably wouldn't be concerned. I have 52 PSI, going up a slight grade of roughly 10' in...
  13. AlexS

Because if the friction issue? If the pipe is too big, will a drop in pressure occur?
  14. AlexS

Terry, Checking to see if replying to your last post goes directly to you or if it is added to the thread. I need advice on 1/1/4" or 1" pipe. You can see my concerns on the thread. Alex
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks