Recent content by Alectrician

1. Alectrician

Wall Socket With Voltage AND No Voltage? HELP!

Look in the closest working receptacle on that same circuit. The cable goes from box to box. The outgoing wire may have become disconnected/burned/loose....probably in the back of the recep.
  2. Alectrician

Would There Be A Fire?

A proper fuse would prevent an overload. In normal operating condirions, the #10 cord wouldn't even come close to overheating. That said, a fire can still happen, even with all the proper things in place. The right kind of short circuit, especially on a 50 amp breaker, can do some real...
  3. Alectrician

single 'master' 3-way? switch at top of the stairs controlling 2+ zones downstairs?

Is it really that hard to turn off two switches upstairs? You are lazier than I am :)
  4. Alectrician

Wall outlet exploded!

Yeah, the hot wire laying behind the receptacle had a nick or sclice in the insulation and was sitting there from day one, a fraction of an inch from a short circuit. When you pushed the plug in, it moved the recep back and, BAM. When you inspect the black wire(s) you will see the fault in the...
  5. Alectrician

Wires too short to reach new load center.

This is probably the best advice he gave you. This is a relatively simple 3/4 -1 day job for a person with the right experience and tools but, IMO, this is not a DIY project. If the meter socket is rated for 200A you could mount a new panel to the right, tie it to the old panel with...
  6. Alectrician

Wires too short to reach new load center.

The old meter socket probably need to be upgraded to 200A also. A meter/panel combo would be your best bet. I've not heard of a 24" minimum height rule. If it does exist in your area, you would have to take out the guts of the old panel and use the enclosure for a junction box. Meter/panel...
  7. Alectrician

220v to 110v

You can not put a panel in the dwelling bathroom or in a clothes closet. Subtle but important difference.
  8. Alectrician

What's the deal with my toilet?

I should know this but.......my toilet doesn't flush properly but I am convinced it's not blocked. I can dump 1/2 gallon of water directly into the bowl and it dumps perfectly but when I flush it normally it just kind of swirls around and won't completely empty the bowl. The flapper is...
  9. Alectrician

Possible wiring fault

I have no idea but............................ I'M HEADED TO PRESCOTT IN A FEW MINUTES!! (Friday afternoon) I love Prescott. I have a cabin in Highland Pines, about 10 minutes West of town.
  10. Alectrician

Torque (getting it right)

He has to learn how to feel the wire tightening in the lug. Let him do it then check his work.
  11. Alectrician

HOM20M100C panel - use of tandem breakers?

Possibly. There is a rejection thingy that doen't allow the breaker to plug into a "normal" bus. The bus has to be notched in the middle to accept tandems. They could also be CL breakers listed for replacement use only. There is no rejection thingy in those but they're still not "legal" in this...
  12. Alectrician

Need Quick Answer, Inspector Coming Monday!

That's your opinion as well as mine, but I know there are areas where they allow the freaking unfused service conductor cable to be tacked to the side of a building.
  13. Alectrician

Is this shotty short cut work or is It ok fine.?

This guy is fast and, unless he was charging $300 an hour, he was cheap. The fan alone would cost him 20 or 30 bucks and anothr 8 for the stacked switch. With 30+ years of experience, I couldn't retro install a bath fan in 30 minutes unless the sheetrock was all down. Hell, it takes me 10...
  14. Alectrician

Need Quick Answer, Inspector Coming Monday!

Avoid complications. Skip the panel. Use the #10 wire on a 20 amp breaker and #12 wire inside the shed for the receps and lights. The exposed portion of Uf cable need to be protected (conduit) "where subject to physical damage" but that is very subjective. Only your inspector can...
  15. Alectrician

Replaced two regular lights with fluorescents = Now they flicker - HELP

Huh? Anyway....your lamps are probaby not in the tombstones correctly. Remove them and try again.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks