Recent content by _Jerry_

1. _Jerry_

Mod Con Boiler vs Heat Pump – Nassau County, Long Island

Dana, I understand you are proposing UFT-80w as primary heating, and mini-split heat pump as cooling and secondary heating. Question on energy consumption. Say post-insulation heating load to be 30,000 BTU/hr for design temp range of 55F (between +70F and +15F). For average seasonal temp...
  2. _Jerry_

A follow-up on gas unit cost. $1.58/therm is based on Sept. 2016 billing (my first bill since moved in). I just found out the unit cost from Nov. 2015 thru March 2016 ranged from $0.91 to $1.20/therm. That makes it about $10.80/MMBTU vs $21/MMBTU for electric. I thought winter gas cost...
  3. _Jerry_

Thanks. Lots of info to digest, especially on solar. Quick takeaway is heat pump has about 30% higher operating cost than gas condensing boiler using the efficiency and model units you assumed. But I can save a bit on upfront installation cost with heat pump because its 2 units in 1. Adding...
  4. _Jerry_

Dana, Thank you again. 1. Fuel-Use-Based Heat Load - The previous owner was nice enough to share their old ACTUAL gas usage between November 2015 and March 2016. The fuel-use-based 99% heat load assuming +15F outside design temp ranged from 37,000 to 42,000 BTU/hr. Including 1.4x...
  5. _Jerry_

Thank you, Dana. In addition to heating, I am also looking to add insulation and replace existing central AC. I came across your replies elsewhere related to both last night. I would love your inputs particularly on heat pumps. One of your comments really struck a chord with me, in that...
  6. _Jerry_

BadgerBoiler, I have contacted a local supplier as NY_Rob suggested in his post, who can place an order for me, be shipped in a month, but does not stock any replacement parts. That makes an experienced contractor even more critical, not just for installation, but future servicing and repair...
  7. _Jerry_

Hi all, I am a new homeowner with minimal knowledge of heating systems prior to coming across this forum last week. Thanks for all the great info. It has been tremendously helpful. I am looking to replace my existing gas boiler with a mod con unit. I may or may not have to replace my...
  8. _Jerry_

Replacement for 1960's era N.G. boiler....

Hi Rob, If you can ask your contractor, it will be great. I am new to this forum so I am not sure what's the best way to exchange contacts privately. I just sent you a message. Thanks, Jerry
  9. _Jerry_

Replacement for 1960's era N.G. boiler....

Hi Rob, Sorry for hijacking your old thread. Very informative post! Thank you and many others who contributed. I am in 11791, not too far from you geographically. I am looking to replace my existing 1980s gas boiler possibly with the HTP UFT-80 unit. I will make separate post with...