Recent content by 86turbodsl

1. 8

Building drain cleanout quandry

So how does one avoid such a thing then? If it backs up, it's going to back up to the lowest point in the system, it might as well be in the basement rather than in my first floor bath...
  2. 8

Yeah, I can get a vent up through the outside wall and join the other vents. I guess the main question was do I need a cleanout inside too?
  3. 8

I want to add a washing machine drain in the basement, and the current drain looks like this: There's a two way cleanout just outside the building foundation at ground level. Do I need another one inside? Can I use a wye or sanitary tee on the vertical to add my washer drain and vent upsteam...
  4. 8

New home - hybrid copper / CPVC or PEX?

Well, i just made this argument academic. There was a big sale at ******* locally, and i picked up enough copper to do the whole house. Apparently the cost per stick was a couple bucks cheaper than wholesale. I don't know how they can sell it this cheap. So I'll stick to copper for now...
  5. 8

I'm not sure how they worked it out. I was told by the bank that frequently houses when appraised based on stated amenities and content frequently are lower because they take into account that you could paint every room pink or whatever. They typically appraise higher after completion if the...
  6. 8

I've saved huge money already. Just needs to be more. examples - 1. $1000 fireplace door purchased for $5 on ****. 2. $17K kitchen cabinets - build them myself from cherry purchased for 10cent on the dollar - huge savings. 3. garden tub purchased for 1/2 price on ****. 4...
  7. 8

I'm the general contractor. I can do whatever I want. The real trouble is making the hard choices to reduce subsystems complexity when it will be a major hassle to fix it later. That's why the idea to put the copper in the walls and pex in easily accessible areas. My BIGGEST problem, and...
  8. 8

Sell it to who? Nobody is buying here!!!
  9. 8

You do realize that the shell is already up right? There's no way to downsize at this point. Only try to cut costs and make it work. Foreclosure is not an option!!! We need to make it work. The housing crisis was just getting out when we signed the papers. I asked about potential problems...
  10. 8

and my alternative is I spend the best on everything mechanical and the house doesn't appraise at the cost to build and I lose it to foreclosure. Maybe I should have typed: I'm an engineer AND a pragmatist. I'm already cheaping out on everything else I can such as light fixtures, paint...
  11. 8

With the smaller ID of the pex, when I want to get 3/4 copper gpm to a fixture, where do i find a pex manifold to do 3/4? Ugh. So many choices on this stuff.
  12. 8

Dcon is pellets not powder. 800 here, 1300 there, it's adding up fast. But penny wise and pound foolish is not smart either. Mice like to chew on pex. And it's a big difference in cost. 3/4 is 2.50 a ft here. I need probably 250 ft of the stuff. But thanks for the advise.
  13. 8

Ok, long time lurker first time poster. No stranger to plumbing. Not my main occupation though. I'm building a new home right now. 3000ft, costs escalating, value declining. I'm in a bind. My bank has asked me to save money. But being an engineer, I refuse to compromise...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks