Recent content by 68malibu383

1. 68malibu383

Green / white corrosion / oxidation on copper pipes

I've searched but could not find needed info. Does the discoloration / corrosion seen on copper in these pics indicate a problem that could lead to a leak? Thanks!
  2. 68malibu383

Air admittance valve in the yard?

Its listed as city sewer. This is in a tight neighborhood with small yards. I've inspected a bunch of these houses and this one had one more odd item: a septic alarm in the garage.
  3. 68malibu383

Air admittance valve in the yard?

I inspected a slab home built in 2019 today and there was an air admittance valve in the yard against the foundation. I've not seen everything but have been inspecting for nearly 15 years and this is a first. Is this allowed? See photo.
  4. 68malibu383

Rust on copper pipe

Thank you. Photo here. I should have typed "rust" since copper does not rust. Maybe it is a surface contaminant.
  5. 68malibu383

Rust on copper pipe

Is the rust a concern on this 32 year old pipe? I understand the "corrosion" is likely from the flux, but more concerned about the orange and any implications it may have. Thanks. Update... I can't figure out how to upload a photo. So, picture orange on a copper pipe by a commode stop valve.
  6. 68malibu383

Bathtub access requirements?

Hey guys, I inspected a new construction home today and the bathtub had a large tile base around it, making access in and out of the tub difficult. The base was up to the rim of the tub and was 17" wide from the floor outside of the tub to the rim of the tub. 17" is quite a step over a 22"...
  7. 68malibu383

2" pipe at well head discharging water when power off

Saw this today on a 2013 house. Power to the home was not on (foreclosure) when I started the inspection but a large amount of water was discharging from a PVC pipe at the well head. The perspective buyer for the home said this had been the case every time he'd been to the home over the past...
  8. 68malibu383

Delta shower diverter knob leak - can water leak into wall cavity?

I've never removed one of these so not sure if water could possibly leak back into the wall cavity or not. I'm sure there is a closed area behind the knob but wonder if there is a chance water could leak internally.
  9. 68malibu383

Intermintent flush problem solved - interesting

Thought I'd share this as it may help someone diagnose the same problem in the future. My 10-year old American Std toilet would flush as normal at times but other times, it would start to flush properly, then water would just back up in the bowl. Happened with solids and liquids. Once when...
  10. 68malibu383

Can you use flexible rubber cuppling at bathroom sink drain? Photo

Found in a home that was just "remodeled". I don't think this can be used here but I can't find a code reference for it. So, take a look and let me know, please.
  11. 68malibu383

Sewage ejector, open sump, on main drain - 4" into 2"

Thought some folks might get a kick out of what I saw today. Ejector basin was fed by the main 4" line and a 2" off the laundry, then ejected out through a 2" main line (3 bed 2.5 bath house built in '85). No lid on the basin.
  12. 68malibu383

Can this type diverter valve leak behind the wall?

If not, how it the knob configured to channel water?
  13. 68malibu383

New construction and couplings in 3" PVC drain?

Hello, In new construction, does code allow couplings in a short run of 3" horizontal drain pipe? Saw an approximately 4' long drain pipe today that had two couplings in it. There should not be a need for that unless the pipe was damaged. I did not think couplings were allowed (especially...
  14. 68malibu383

Galvanized pipe in newer home?

Found a few short pieces of pipe on a water heater that the homeowner added on a six year old house. I know galvanized can't be used for drinking water anymore and I'm thinking it should not be not be on the hot side either. Someone could use hot water for coffee or cooking. This should be...
  15. 68malibu383

flexible pipe at WH

I can't locate my list of approved piping materials that connect to the inlet/outlet on the water heater but I don't think this one (photo) makes the cut. Please advise.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks