Moving a toilet, Is this Legit?

Users who are viewing this thread

smacman7

Reaction score
Not a lengthy explanation. I want to move a toilet a few feet from current location and tie it into the vertical soil stack. The main vent stack is about 4 feet from new location. I just want to know if these are the fittings I should use. Cut section of vertical out. Add 4x4x3 wye. Glue in a few inches of 4" pipe on either end and attach to main with shielded no hub Fernco-type couplings. attach 1/8 bent to go straight up to new toilet location. Washing machine vent runs vertically close to main waste stack, if I need to add additional vent... but do I, being less than 6" from main vent?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• New shitter.jpg
    New shitter.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 44

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
as long as the "ventstack " isnt a waste stack you are good. you cant be dumping a laundry or kitchen in the horrizntal wet vent either

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not following , I dont suspect this is a waste stack vent p3109 situation at all just that this 4 inch line with arrow pointed up might not be suitable for reventing the toilet if there are additional floors using that as a drain. if its a vent ( or vent stack) no problem

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not following , I dont suspect this is a waste stack vent p3109 situation at all just that this 4 inch line with arrow pointed up might not be suitable for reventing the toilet if there are additional floors using that as a drain. if its a vent ( or vent stack) no problem
Yes, I think we're on the same page. The toilet needs its own individual vent.

I was reading up on their peculiar waste/vent stack code but erased it once I got to the part where toilets aren't allowed.. but looks like I left the link to it by accident as it doesn't apply here.

smacman7

Reaction score
Here is a pic, I thought I had attached it originally. This is a single story home. Current set up is back to back toilets with 4" vent running in the tall between the two. The distance from the vent to the new toilet location is about 4 linear feet (plus 2 90 degree bends) if that is an issue. Mainly wondering which is a better fitting 4x4x3 Y of san tee (or other?) and if I need to also tie into the 1.5" washing machine vent running parallel to waste stack.

Attachments

• DWV.jpg
    DWV.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 31

smacman7

Reaction score

I was reading up on their peculiar waste/vent stack code but erased it once I got to the part where toilets aren't allowed.. but looks like I left the link to it by accident as it doesn't apply here.
Here is a pic, I thought I had attached it originally. This is a single story home. Current set up is back to back toilets with 4" vent running in the tall between the two. The distance from the vent to the new toilet location is about 4 linear feet (plus 2 90 degree bends) if that is an issue. Mainly wondering which is a better fitting 4x4x3 Y of san tee (or other?) and if I need to also tie into the 1.5" washing machine vent running parallel to waste stack.

Attachments

• DWV.jpg
    DWV.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 24

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score

Interesting and confusing that code also I refer to vent stacks or waste stacks all the time but you switch the words around and its a whole differant subject LOL

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you are right on with your idea , I hope its easy to revent into the washing machine vent higher than the stanpipe by at least 6 inches.
not real crazy about the double cross santee , are you capping one side ?

smacman7

Reaction score
I think you are right on with your idea , I hope its easy to revent into the washing machine vent higher than the stanpipe by at least 6 inches.
not real crazy about the double cross santee , are you capping one side ?
Yea, Plumber I had looking at the system mentioned the double san t, how it is not done like that anymore... if ever! Never have had an issue with it. Yes, plan on capping the old toilet, probably on the horizontal section before the double santee...yes? Not quite sure what you mean by the revent washing standpipe by 6"... can you elaborate? This one is probably going to the plumber, because I really don't want to screw up the crapper... but I like to know how these things work, and be able to Identify when work is done to code in my house.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The method of connecting the drain to the stack is good. The vertical wye is the best method of adding that branch.

Without fully reading the NE code to understand it entirely and applying UPC/IPC methods which are usually similar. The drain would rise vertical to a point in or under the joist where you would take off for your toilets fixture drain / trap arm and the vent would rise vertically from that point and connect to the clothes washer vent no less than 6" above the flood level of the toilet..

Rough drawing

1712950475255.png

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
if I need to also tie into the 1.5" washing machine vent running parallel to waste stack.
Simply connecting the new WC drain to the existing (offset) waste stack as indicated will not provide a vent for the WC. I believe that Nebraska uses the UPC, which requires a 2" vent for a WC. In which case the washing machine's 1.5" vent will also not suffice for venting the WC.

You'd need to take off a 2" dry vent before the WC fixture drain hits the stack (within 6' of pipe run from the closet flange for the UPC), and run that dry vent up to at least 6" above the WC flood rim, where it can connect to any existing 2" or larger vent that is also at least 6" above the flood rims of the fixtures it serves. E.g. far enough up the 4" vent on the floor above.

Or, it might be possible to wet vent the WC using one of the existing fixture drains in the basement. Downstream of the crazy six-way fitting that the 4" vent comes off the top of, I see 3 additional horizontal drains that join the building drain. If one of those is a 2" drain that carries only a lav, shower or tub (or 2 of those) that itself has a 2" vent (not too likely, as any of those fixtures would only require a 1.5" vent), then you could reroute that 2" drain to join the WC fixture drain (within the 6' limit) before the WC fixture drain joins the stack. That would wet vent the WC.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ill guarantee tuttles drawing passes on the new toilet . even in other codes . if the revent to the washmachine is omitted (which I would not do and am certain isnt legal ) it would likely work fine be un noticed . but not legal

smacman7

Reaction score
I truly appreciate the input! It kind of has my head spinning. One last question (well probably not the last). Can the new toilet, instead, tie into the long horizontal section and thus being within 2-3 feet of the 4" vent stack? No additional venting?

Attachments

• new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 23

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Washing machine vent was specified as 1.5", using it to vent the WC does not comply with the UPC.

Cheers, Wayne
Definately a no no in UPC. Didnt intend to state that 1 1/2' vent on a w/c was legal in UPC but I certainly did state that incorrectly

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I truly appreciate the input! It kind of has my head spinning. One last question (well probably not the last). Can the new toilet, instead, tie into the long horizontal section and thus being within 2-3 feet of the 4" vent stack? No additional venting?
horrizontal wet venting the toilet should be fine just stay up stream of any non bathroom fixtures like the laundry or k/s conections. sorry didnt realize the original idea would be issue a 2 inch vent for toilets is beaen into my head in UPC code but IPC woulda been fine.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can the new toilet, instead, tie into the long horizontal section and thus being within 2-3 feet of the 4" vent stack? No additional venting?
No. UPC restricts wet vents to one bathroom. You can't use a drain carrying a WC as a wet vent for a second WC.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks