Is there a shower head that won't drip

Users who are viewing this thread

Americanbobstandard

Reaction score

I have a American Standard R1400 Shower Valve. I have rebuilt this a couple of times. This time I am still having a small drip come through my shower head. I do not want to take it apart at this time because I struggled to put it together last time because of a gasket issue. I know they sell shower heads with a shut off valves built in. I prefer to not use one of those at this time. Does anyone know of a show head or type of shower head that won't allow small drips to go through? I see some shower heads on Amazon that say they are high pressure and they are anti clog and anti leak. I have not bought one of these yet but I figured I would ask here first before I bought any more. Thank you, Bob​

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score

I have a American Standard R1400 Shower Valve. I have rebuilt this a couple of times. This time I am still having a small drip come through my shower head. I do not want to take it apart at this time because I struggled to put it together last time because of a gasket issue. I know they sell shower heads with a shut off valves built in. I prefer to not use one of those at this time. Does anyone know of a show head or type of shower head that won't allow small drips to go through? I see some shower heads on Amazon that say they are high pressure and they are anti clog and anti leak. I have not bought one of these yet but I figured I would ask here first before I bought any more. Thank you, Bob​

If water is coming through your valve a shower head won't keep it from flowing. If your valve isn't holding, the water is coming through it at whatever pressure you normally have. A shower head that can hold back 40 to 60 psi would be something to see and not very useful. So I think a valve is the only thing that will work for you. If you were to get a valve for the shower arm and you keep it shut for a period of time, the pressure will build to normal line pressure and it will spurt water out when you go to open it.

Americanbobstandard

Reaction score
John, I replaced the pieces involved with the inside and it still has a very small drip already. I can get the drip be very slight the more pressure I put on the handle. It is not a stream of water it is a slight drip. I am not sure if the american standard R1400 has any adjustments on the inside to make rubber seals go into the seats further. Here is a link to a previous posting showing my shower diverter. It shows the guts to the diverter. Thanks, Bob