is this mess really how it's done?

Users who are viewing this thread

dls

Reaction score
Homeowner currently undergoing gut renovation on bathroom. The tub is being converted to a walk in shower which necessitates going from current 1 1/2 drain to a 2 inch. Permit has been pulled. Old drain was 1 1/2 inch copper. Plumber has replaced with 2 inch PVC. Please see attached pic of the connection at the cast iron stack. I would have assumed he would use a Fernco to make the connection. Instead it looks like he kept the stub of the copper in place and crudely slid a burned/ melted section of PVC over it (to disguise it?). I will address this with the plumber tomorrow. Just wanted a pros opinion first.

20161221_201951.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you sure he did not set the PVC into the cast iron hub by pouring lead? Which way is up on your picture?

I am not a plumber, but I have seen PVC into CI that way. It was startling initially. It works well.

dls

Reaction score
Are you sure he did not set the PVC into the cast iron hub by pouring lead? Which way is up on your picture?

I am not a plumber, but I have seen PVC into CI that way. It was startling initially. It works well.

I was standing over the hub, looking down on the connection when taking the picture. Seems like there is metal (copper) under the pvc . I will try to take a better picture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks