Replace house side polypipe with PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
The pressure tank currently has 0.5" polypipe going for about 46" then connecting to 0.5" copper throughout the house.
I would like to replace this small section of poly with PEX.
What is the best stop valve to add to the T bar of the pressure tank?

Last edited by a moderator:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
1/2" PEX is too small. Use 3/4" PEX to the 1/2 Copper. 1/2" PEX does not flow as much as 1/2" Copper.
There is no need for a stop valve (i.e. shutoff valve) unless that is just a convenient place for the "whole house" water shutoff valve. In that case, a 1/4-turn brass ball valve would be my choice.

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
1/2" PEX is too small. Use 3/4" PEX to the 1/2 Copper. 1/2" PEX does not flow as much as 1/2" Copper.
There is no need for a stop valve (i.e. shutoff valve) unless that is just a convenient place for the "whole house" water shutoff valve. In that case, a 1/4-turn brass ball valve would be my choice.
How do I attach the ball valve to the T.
I think the T comes with an outside 1" thread or inside 3/4" thread but none of the ball valves are threaded.

Reach4

Reaction score
Threaded ball valves are very available.

I used two Apollo Pipemaster valves. http://www.apollovalves.com/pipemaster They each use two adapters:
config.gif

It would be nice if you could use different sized adapters with Pipemaster, but you cannot. Each size of valve has its own adapters. It would be nice if a 3/4 valve would take 1/2 inch adapters or if a 1 inch valve could take 3/4 in addition to the 1 inch adapters.

I was able to buy the Pipemaster valves locally when I got them, but that same place does not stock them now. You can get adapters to pretty much anything. Note that PVC is not supposed to be added indoors now, but CPVC is often permitted. Avoid schedule 40 PVC and CPVC female threads, and if you do use them, strongly avoid overtightening. Schedule 80 or more is stronger, but not as readily available. Brass is available.

You will probably use a threaded to Pex adapter on your brass valve.
pxlf7410-01.jpg
bpf7506-01.jpg

Last edited:

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
Threaded ball valves are very available.

I used two Apollo Pipemaster valves. http://www.apollovalves.com/pipemaster They each use two adapters:
config.gif

It would be nice if you could use different sized adapters with Pipemaster, but you cannot. Each size of valve has its own adapters. It would be nice if a 3/4 valve would take 1/2 inch adapters or if a 1 inch valve could take 3/4 in addition to the 1 inch adapters.

I was able to buy the Pipemaster valves locally when I got them, but that same place does not stock them now. You can get adapters to pretty much anything. Note that PVC is not supposed to be added indoors now, but CPVC is often permitted. Avoid schedule 40 PVC and CPVC female threads, and if you do use them, strongly avoid overtightening. Schedule 80 or more is stronger, but not as readily available. Brass is available.

You will probably use a threaded to Pex adapter on your brass valve.
pxlf7410-01.jpg
bpf7506-01.jpg
Those are threaded on one side though.
How do you join it to the ball valve where it's flat?

Reach4

Reaction score
Those are threaded on one side though.
How do you join it to the ball valve where it's flat?
Those are for the Apollo Pipemaster valves only. There is an included nut for each side of the valve that is put on the pipe before the adapter is attached to the pipe. Then the nut slides over the adapter and attaches to the valve body. Because there is a little O-ring on the mating surface, I lightly lube the O-ring with silicone grease before tightening.

It is more likely, especially since you are changing sizes, that you will want a brass ball valve and an adapter. Click Inbox for a link.