Toilet whirls around, won't flush

Users who are viewing this thread

lizzybeth

Reaction score
(I wrote the tile incorrectly; the water doesn't whirl around, it only bubbles.)
(Also, this is not a low flush toilet but a Kohler 1.6 gallon per flush.)

I'm a plumber's daughter and this one is new to me, as I have prided myself in fixing anything --- before the fall.

We've plunged over and over, and it's been an unused toilet now for a couple months. Company's coming.

The water in the bowl slowly goes down and passes through, but doesn't completely empty the bowl. Then flush and water in the bowl bubbles a bit then fills bowl --- but won't go all the way through.

Have snaked out to kingdom come with the extended snake.

The tank is filling properly. I read somewhere that maybe a grandchild's ball had been flushed down when it behaves like this? Water passing through but no "flush." We're on septic, but the upstairs toilet is working fine, so wouldn't think it's an obstruction in the line.

We'd just go replace it with a Stealth Toilet (have 3 in other homes and very satisfied) but can't find one nearby. (Lowes no longer carrying them.) Any ideas on fixing this one or finding a local Stealth distributor before weekend company arrives. (We shipped Stealths the other times.)

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A problem in the septic CAN affect the lower level toilet without causing any problem with the upstairs one. The sinks and tubs would also work normally. DO NOT change the toilet until you know the REAL reason for the problem, otherwise you will have the same problem with the new one. Call your father or a local plumber for a diagnosis.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any toilet that is 1.6 gpf is a low flow toilet. True, some of the newer ones now use even less water, the you're still in the low flow generation. Many of the first ones were not very good, the manufactures were trying to tweek their old toilet designs to function with less water and that gave the industry a bad name. That is not you problem. You have either a clogged drain or a clog in the toilet. A children's toy is often the problem, but not the only one. Call dad. If the drain needs clearing, he will have the know how to do it. If it is the toilet clogged, he will be able to deal with that.

Meyerjr

Reaction score
I know the answer to this problem with this Niagara .8 gallon toilet.

The rubber seal between the bowl part and the tank part is a very customized part that seals both the large hole and the smaller hole. I misplaced that black rubber part and replaced it with typical round rubber seal. When flushed, it would only leak a little - but would not do a full flush - just swirl around.

stealth_a2.jpg

As soon as I re-found the provided seal, the toilet flushes perfect.

stealth_inside_tank.jpg

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ilet-review-with-pictures-and-comments.49930/

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I know the answer to this problem with this Niagara .8 gallon toilet.

The rubber seal between the bowl part and the tank part is a very customized part that seals both the large hole and the smaller hole. I misplaced that black rubber part and replaced it with typical round rubber seal. When flushed, it would only leak a little - but would not do a full flush - just swirl around.

As soon as I re-found the provided seal, the toilet flushes perfect.

The Stealth needs a special gasket, as it has two openings from the tank to the bowl.
The problem she had was with a standard Kohler though.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did you use a toilet auger through the toilet, or remove the toilet when you used the snake? IF you removed the toilet, and the problem persists, the problem is probably IN the toilet, not the line. But, if you used a snake with a small head, they often only punch a small hole in the obstruction, and you need one with a full-diameter cutting head. The other possibility is a belly in the line Once you pull the toilet, is there any standing water in the drain visible?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks