5" inside diameter toilet flange - cast iron

Users who are viewing this thread

k.look

Reaction score
I have a 5" inside diameter toilet flange that's 1 1/2" deep that's connected to a 4" inside diameter cast iron waste pipe. The problem is wax rings are made for 3" and 4" openings. Is there a wax ring for a 5" opening or what do you recommend to reduce the opening to 4"?

Ken - Chicago, Il

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Regular Wax

A regular wax should fit. The inside of 4" or 4 x 3 flanges are almost five inches. I have not hear of a 5" toilet flange.

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Wax Gasket

Although I never had this problem...
Instead of reducing the (closet flange) drain opening you would be better off combining a small section of a second wax seal to another one to make the diameter larger if that's what you need to do.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

Apparently the 4" cast iron pipe is not long enough to reach the surface of the flange, the way it should. A plumber would caulk a section of pipe inside the flange so the new opening would be correct for a wax ring.

k.look

Reaction score
flange

EJ,
What type of pipe do you recommend caulking in there? What will fit? A piece of iron pipe or PVC? I think if I reduced the opening down to an inside diameter of 4", the wax ring would give me a better seal in the long run so I don't have to repair the floor again. The plumbing guy at local Home Depot said this might be a commercial fitting that was put on my toilet.

I just talked to a commercial plumbing supply house. Apparently my situation is common plumbing technique in the Chicago area. The flange is 5" diameter with a 1 1/2" drop connecting to a 4" waste pipe. A regular wax ring should do the trick. Apparently, the original installation had a plumber's putty like consistency that reduced this 5" opening to about 4" (this material was very stiff and flaking) when I originally removed it.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
5"

The "5"" flange is really a 4" one, but the 4" pipe is too short. The best solution would be a 1 1/2" piece of cast iron pipe caulked, (leaded), into the flange to raise the 4" to the finish floor elevation. Failing that a piece of 4" ABS or PVC could be inserted and siliconed in place so it lines up with the existing 4" pipe.

DocDee

Reaction score
I had exactly the same problem with a cast iron flange with 5" ID (construction around 1970).
My solution which worked perfectly was a one-piece neoprene seal from http://saniseal.com/
"The Green Gasket" was purchased from Home Depot for about $11.

JMac

Reaction score
I had exactly the same problem with a cast iron flange with 5" ID (construction around 1970).
My solution which worked perfectly was a one-piece neoprene seal from http://saniseal.com/
"The Green Gasket" was purchased from Home Depot for about $11.

Before others start flaming here, I would like to point out the date on the last post before yours : hj, Nov 29, 2004
That's right... over 10 years ago.
And responding to just one post (instead of the 3 old posts like you did) would have been enough for anybody new trying to find an answer to this.

Reach4

Reaction score
Those were 3 identical posts. Think he is a fake getting ready for some spam posts? You don't suppose that SS would be paying an S E O (paid spammer) guy, do you? Those S E O guys don't usually respond. Maybe I am too suspicious. I put the space into the 3-letter acronym because they do search for that term.

JMac

Reaction score
Those were 3 identical posts. Think he is a fake getting ready for some spam posts? You don't suppose that SS would be paying an S E O (paid spammer) guy, do you? Those S E O guys don't usually respond. Maybe I am too suspicious. I put the space into the 3-letter acronym because they do search for that term.

I hadn't read all 3 at that point, just saw them on the forum listing. I do agree with you re spam, especially after reading all 3 threads, but I was giving the guy the benefit of the doubt there. This also makes me rethink the SS, if no other reason than because of doing this.

ChalresDOliver

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I ran into this issue and fixed it with the advice of this great forum using a dutchman.
See this post for some pictures of my repair if it helps.
Thanks for the great site!

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ig-for-supplied-wax-ring-now-what-help.42310/

Was wondering how it was holding up, I am going to attempt to do the same thing you did. I am just worried about the rusty inner pipe holding with the PL 3X polyurethane adhesive. I am gonna wire brush it up as best as I can though.

ChalresDOliver

Reaction score
20211015_150018.jpg
20211015_162145.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks