Vacation, A, and B lights

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have a Reliance GSW rental tank - gas - power vent - 6G40NVH-FV-02 - B4743 that often fails to ignite. It will try three times and then the Vacation, A, and B light come on. After a while it repeats the process and this can go on for hours. Eventually it will fire and make hot water.
I called Reliance back in March and they sent out a tech. I got tired of listening to the heater try over and over and so pulled the plug on it after I got off the phone to them. The tech shows up, I explain what it was doing and he says he cannot take my word for it... has to see it for himself.

He plugs it in, the first two attempts to fire fail, so he says he knows what's wrong and heads out to the truck to get a new gas valve. When he gets back, it is making hot water so he says he cannot replace a gas valve that works.

Every time it fails to fire, it is either in the evening or on a weekend. This morning it was acting up and only started making hot water at 5:00 PM... ARGH!! I've had the gas valve replaced twice before but those were for ECO which is not intermittent.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Service tech came out today and cleaned what he called "the flame rod" which I'm guessing is some sort of heat sensor. He said if it still acts up he will replace the part.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Service tech came out today and cleaned what he called "the flame rod" which I'm guessing is some sort of heat sensor. He said if it still acts up he will replace the part.

Sounds like a stab in the dark.

If it is not lighting even a new Flame Rod won't work. Or is it lighting then shutting off ?

Good Luck.

Caduceus

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Your owners manual should have an error code guide in it or if you misplaced it look for one online. I couldn't find one for you yet on the internet. There will be a general interpretation of the error code in the manual.

Caduceus

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You could also call customer service and maybe they will tell you what the error code means. That's where to start.

DonL

Reaction score
Your owners manual should have an error code guide in it or if you misplaced it look for one online. I couldn't find one for you yet on the internet. There will be a general interpretation of the error code in the manual.

The Code means Ignition failure / Lockout. Then if you wait until the safety times out it will try again.

It could be a problem in the Power Vent system. Or the Gas Valve if it never lights.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
You could also call customer service and maybe they will tell you what the error code means. That's where to start.

You crack my ass up.

He called CS and a tech came out.

Do you think Customer Service knows more than a tech that has been there ?

You are funny my friend.

Caduceus

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You crack my ass up.

He called CS and a tech came out.

Do you think Customer Service knows more than a tech that has been there ?

You are funny my friend.
Maybe because of your lack of experience you don't realize that, when asked the right questions, customer service will tell you the basic interpretation of the error code for the model. Not a specific diagnosis. They can also advise on troubleshooting as it relates to the owner's manual, send a new manual or even send a different manufacturer authorized service company if the customer is dissatisfied with the service. And yes, some tech support reps DO know more than the techs out in the field because they have access to the history database of troubles with specific models. That's how they determine if a recall is needed or if a retro kit needs to be developed for a design defect. The list goes on for what a valuable resource CS and tech support can be.
So I can confidently say that it is your ignorance that cracks MY ass up. Not very bright for a rocket scientist. I guess if you push on a door and it doesn't open you don't try pulling it, you just assume it's broken or locked.

DonL

Reaction score
I worded the problem poorly. What I should have said is that it doesn't stay lit. I can hear that the burner lights for a second but then it shuts down.

OK, Then the tech may be right. Is it working good now ?

If there is a problem in the Flue it will give you the same results.

You did pay your gas bill, Right. lol

Good Luck.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Is it working good now ?
After I got off the phone with the CSR, I unplugged the unit and waited for the tech to arrive. The tech shows up after 4:00 PM and the first thing he does is to plug it in, and of course it works on the first try. The same thing happened back in March but this time I spoke with the tech's boss to explain what happens and got assurances that they would fix it regardless.

Time will tell if what he did makes any difference. So far I have not heard it short cycling but then again I don't stand there listening for it.

DonL

Reaction score
Maybe because of your lack of experience you don't realize that, when asked the right questions, customer service will tell you the basic interpretation of the error code for the model. Not a specific diagnosis. They can also advise on troubleshooting as it relates to the owner's manual, send a new manual or even send a different manufacturer authorized service company if the customer is dissatisfied with the service. And yes, some tech support reps DO know more than the techs out in the field because they have access to the history database of troubles with specific models. That's how they determine if a recall is needed or if a retro kit needs to be developed for a design defect. The list goes on for what a valuable resource CS and tech support can be.
So I can confidently say that it is your ignorance that cracks MY ass up. Not very bright for a rocket scientist. I guess if you push on a door and it doesn't open you don't try pulling it, you just assume it's broken or locked.

LOL.

I can not take many more cracks in my ass. Or the smoke blowing.

I worked in customer service for Sears and Montgomery Wards for Years, so I know all about Customer Service. Even dated a girl that answered the phones. Good Laywoman. lol

Do you have anymore funny stories ?

Have Fun.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
After I got off the phone with the CSR, I unplugged the unit and waited for the tech to arrive. The tech shows up after 4:00 PM and the first thing he does is to plug it in, and of course it works on the first try. The same thing happened back in March but this time I spoke with the tech's boss to explain what happens and got assurances that they would fix it regardless.

Time will tell if what he did makes any difference. So far I have not heard it short cycling but then again I don't stand there listening for it.

He may have fixed it.

Cleaning is good and position is critical, for the flame sensor.

Just don't let it blow you up. A safety should never be bypassed, Unless it is for a short test. Sometimes you need to for a test, by a qualified person.

Good Luck.

P.S. Caduceus must have some of that new Medical MJ. Please Share Caduceus, My eyes are hurting. If you get your head out of your ass you could see too. I have been there done that...

Last edited:

Caduceus

Master Plumber
Reaction score
LOL.

I can not take many more cracks in my ass. Or the smoke blowing.

I worked in customer service for Sears and Montgomery Wards for Years, so I know all about Customer Service. Even dated a girl that answered the phones. Good Laywoman. lol

Do you have anymore funny stories ?

Have Fun.
Well, got some stories but let's address the real problem here since the thread has apparently been hijacked by our ridiculous banter. If you are using your own poor customer service ability and lack of ambition to help the people who call on you for service as an omen for what the public should expect, then you have only condemned your own reputation.
I have called CS for support for years and in most cases get exemplary service. For all plumbing fixtures and appliances I would give manufacturer CS reps and average of a B+. How horrible of a person were you or maybe it's better to ask if you just didn't know what you were doing?
Now you're on a DIY forum giving advice, similar to what customer service reps do and you just admitted that you were bad at it and didn't give a crap?
It's a shame that people like you are out there negatively affecting people's lives for a cheap thrill.
BTW, if beating up on me helps to fill that void of uselessness inside you and puts a band-aid on what's left of your delicate little ego...go ahead. Some day your wannabe hero complex will fade away and you will die and the world will still turn and people will live on. Just without you.
Pick up a .45 and a bottle of whiskey....you know what to do next, Don. Have fun.

DonL

Reaction score
That is a bit funny.

When I worked in the field, I had a .10% recall rate, And I made big money with that rating.

I would bet LLigetfa could fix it in a heartbeat if he owned it.

Come over and bark up a few of my trees, The Squirrels would get a big kick out of that.

Edit, because I forgot how math works. Or Head up ass syndrome, Insurance covers that. lol

Last edited:

Caduceus

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Oh, I knew I could get it out of ya, Don! Ladies and gentlemen, we now have the "validation" segment of our look into the mind of DonL, where a man whose manhood had been damaged will fall back on specific stats on his successes and extend his penis size with financial wonderment that we simple folk can only dream of!
Next we can expect the ol' "What have you done with your life, Caduceus?" or a good default is "Oh, ha ha. This makes me laugh so much because you're stupid, Caduceus" which is great for hiding the true hurt feelings and simulates curling into a ball and sucking ones thumb.
Next weeks episode will include bi-polar disorder. Stay tuned.

DonL

Reaction score
Oh, I knew I could get it out of ya, Don! Ladies and gentlemen, we now have the "validation" segment of our look into the mind of DonL, where a man whose manhood had been damaged will fall back on specific stats on his successes and extend his penis size with financial wonderment that we simple folk can only dream of!
Next we can expect the ol' "What have you done with your life, Caduceus?" or a good default is "Oh, ha ha. This makes me laugh so much because you're stupid, Caduceus" which is great for hiding the true hurt feelings and simulates curling into a ball and sucking ones thumb.
Next weeks episode will include bi-polar disorder. Stay tuned.

You Must be a F-ing Nut. If I got paid for my Penis size, I would be a millionaire.
I do not like my head in the water.

You need to learn how to use your tool, and when to get a bigger hammer.

Your post should be under Jokes.

Who Hijacked the thread ???

LMAO

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
I think I got banned for the last post.

Good call for the forum admin.

I like to speak the truth, and it can hurt sometimes. Get over it, when it hits Home.

My ass is chapped now, And I have no chapstick. Do You have some to share ?

Have fun Everyone.

I will be back, I hope. If Terry forgives me.

www.Terrylove.com is the best so Google says, and you should support his site if you use it.

Over and out for now, 73.

Last edited:

Caduceus

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I think I got banned for the last post.

Good call for the forum admin.

I like to speak the truth, and it can hurt sometimes. Get over it, when it hits Home.

My ass is chapped now, And I have no chapstick. Do You have some to share ?

Have fun Everyone.

I will be back, I hope.

Okay, next weeks episode on bi-polar disorder started earlier than expected.^^^ See above quotes ^^^.
Instead, next week DonL will give a tutorial on "Becoming a Millionaire Overnight: Penile Implants and the Men Who Love Them." Don't change that channel.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks