Changing bath tub drain cover plate

Users who are viewing this thread

bezoar

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove this contraption on the bathtub overflow?

overflow-thread-on.jpg

I changed the stopper to a popup and want to put on a plain face plate, but the current face plates have too narrow a width and don't lie flush with the tub surface. The local plumbing supply store suggested putting in a 2 hole to 1 hole bracket, but I don't know how to get this thing out to put in the bracket. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would maybe be able to get it with my plumbers pliers, and if not those, I would tap on the lugs with something. You have to be careful not to miss though and chip the tub.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
LEAVE it alone. IF you remove it, you will have NOTHING to attach the faceplate to, since the bolt holes are in the "locknut", and that is what is keeping the overflow from leaking. The "local plumbing store" did NOT know what they were talking about. A 2 bolt to one adapter plate, will add even more depth to the device. Just get a deeper two bolt plate, they DO make them.

bezoar

Reaction score
Ok, I'll try to find one. I haven't been able to find one that deep at the 2 local plumbing supply stores I've tried, and HD and Lowe's definitely don't have anything that will fit the bill.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; HD and Lowe's definitely don't have anything that will fit the bill.

They ONLY have items that will fit 99% of the customer's needs. You are in the 1%, go to a good plumbing supply store. If necessary, get one with the trip lever, but do not connect anything to the lever.

aswiercz

Reaction score
Ok, I'll try to find one. I haven't been able to find one that deep at the 2 local plumbing supply stores I've tried, and HD and Lowe's definitely don't have anything that will fit the bill.
Any luck on finding a face plate that fits? I've run into the same problem with my tub, which appears to be the same style/brand as yours.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
On possibility is to saw or grind the "stubs" so they are flush with the ring.
I agree with HJ. If it's the threaded parts sticking out that's the problem, grind them off and if necessary, run a tap through them to restore the threads. I carry a 4" grinder with a diamond blade for special occasions such as this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks