does double kitchen sink require two traps?

Users who are viewing this thread

marktd

Reaction score
or can both go through one? Anything not kosher about that shown in attached pic?

Attachments

• P1080627.jpg
    P1080627.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,055

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
One trap is fine. The trap arm should not dip down the way you have it, but it might work.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
It doesn't but sometimes it's easier to do it that way. I don't like what you have there because the disposer is going to and water flying towards the sink basket.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They have the wrong fitting where the two drains join and the trap arm has a partial "S" tarp. Someone got very creative and spent a lot of time making that mess.

Reactions: SHR

marktd

Reaction score
They have the wrong fitting where the two drains join and the trap arm has a partial "S" tarp. Someone got very creative and spent a lot of time making that mess.

I think the reason for the bend in the trap arm is that if it were horizontal, the drawer would hit the trap. Is there some concern about that bend? I could get rid of the dip by notching the drawer.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes. An alternative to notching the back of the drawer would be to locate the trap to the right over the lower and backless drawer.

marktd

Reaction score
Yes. An alternative to notching the back of the drawer would be to locate the trap to the right over the lower and backless drawer.

Actually, the right side has same drawer. It's just not visible because the drawer is pulled out to allow picture to be taken.

I think a more conventional layout with slip joint fittings might fit without drawer trap interference. For example, the disposer rotated so outlet points toward other sink, sink drop tube, tee, etc. But that would interfere with the waste basket arrangement in the right drawer (not visible in picture). The current setup was an attempt to push the drain close to the wall to maximize space.

It works now, but as Tom Sawyer above guessed, the disposer pushes water into the other sink basket. So I am looking to fix that, but try to preserve the waste baskets.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"convenience" is never a reason to do it incorrectly. We would have to see the actual installation, with the drawers in place to determine the better way to do it.

Asktom

Reaction score
Just curious, are plumbers working under the UPC putting two traps on one trap arm and getting away with it? Unless it has changed in the last few years, 1001.1 states, "Not more than one (1) trap shall be permitted on a trap arm." We got called on it in the Los Angeles area, back in the day - but it sounds like it may be a common practice other places. The law is as the law is inforced, is this a case where inspectors put fingers in their ears and hum? Has the code change since 2000?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks