Is flexible drain kit appropriate for my kitchen sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nikita

Reaction score
Hello,

I am replacing my 2-bowl kitchen sink with a new model whose left bowl (connected to disposal) will be ~ 3.5" deeper. Looking to replace plumbing as well (see current setup) and, concerned about space, came across a flexible drain kit. Looks convenient. Any reason not to use one and go with a more conventional, rigid pipe? Is a certain pipe material more preferable?

Also this kit is 1.5" inches whereas the waste drain and current p-trap are 2" and current. Any issue with using a 2" -> 1.5" reducer to connect this kit to the waste drain?
http://snappytrap.com/

snappytrap.jpg

Details
  • live in San Jose, CA
  • see photos here (also see captions)
  • waste drain and p-trap are 2" in diameter
  • disposal elbow and secondary sink's current tail piece are 1.5"
  • new sink diagram (left bowl ~ 3.5" deeper than current)
thanks!

-nikita

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
These a never acceptable anywhere. They are sold to unsuspecting DIY because they look like a quick, easy, simple way around a problem. There is a way to do it right.

Reactions: SHR

Nikita

Reaction score
Thanks for you reply, Gary. Could you please elaborate on why, though?
Also are flexible extensions like this one also not appropriate? thanks.

Asktom

Reaction score
I'm with Gary. The corregations accumulate slime and become a bacteria farm. Also, not close to legal.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The really great thing about doing the drains on a kitchen sink is that is stays accessible. As a homeowner you can goober it up as much as you want and fix it later if it doesn't work.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The really great thing about doing the drains on a kitchen sink is that is stays accessible. As a homeowner you can goober it up as much as you want and fix it later if it doesn't work.

This may be acceptable in Georgia, but in the civilized world, codes prevail. Too many DIY think if their cobbled up job works, it's OK, so never mind the codes because codes are just there to make money for the government.
the Redneck Teaparty wants to down size government by eliminating all regulations like this.

Nikita

Reaction score
Your existing system is 1 1/2" sch. 40 pipe, not 2", and most plumbers do not use it preferring 1 1/2" tubular drainage.
Hi, HJ:

Perhaps I am measuring the wrong thing, but I measured the circumference of both the p-trap and the waste drain (sticking out of the back wall). Both were 6", yielding a diameter of ~ 1.9". Why do you say it's 1.5"? Or are you not referring to either of these?

FWIW the tail piece coming out of the non-disposal sink and the elbow coming out of the disposal are indeed 1.5".

Thanks,
-nikita

Asktom

Reaction score
There are two sizes of 1 1/2". 1 1/2" pipe has an outside dimension of 1 7/8" (about 1 1/2" inside). 1 1/2" tubular size is 1 1/2" OD.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
This may be acceptable in Georgia, but in the civilized world, codes prevail. Too many DIY think if their cobbled up job works, it's OK, so never mind the codes because codes are just there to make money for the government.
the Redneck Teaparty wants to down size government by eliminating all regulations like this.
Not a good venue for political concerns.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think the simple answer is:

Home centers sell all kinds of stuff that the plumbers can't legally use.
I don't lose sleep over it though. When I'm working on a job, and I see that kind of stuff, it gets tossed, and I use the correct fitting from the truck.
Can you use the fitting and have it work? Yes.
Do the plumbers use them? No.

Now lets not start discussing the music we listen to. That could really get out of hand. :)

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the simple answer is:

Home centers sell all kinds of stuff that the plumbers can't legally use.
I don't lose sleep over it though. When I'm working on a job, and I see that kind of stuff, it gets tossed, and I use the correct fitting from the truck.
Can use use the fitting and have it work? Yes.
Do the plumbers use them? No.

Now lets not start discussing the music we listen to. That could really get out of hand. :)
Thanks, Terry. May reason prevail.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks