Over 35,000 gallons in less then two months?

Users who are viewing this thread

RAM1961

Reaction score
I had meters installed in late May on a shared well in a subdivision. Shared with one other household. I knew his water usage was way higher than mine, but I had no idea he's used over 35K gallons in 6-7 weeks. Yesterday, the well pump was hissing from drawing air so bad - he's going to end up burning up the pump and expect me to pay 50% or repairs per the shared well agreement. How much water have we used in this time period? Less then 7000 gallons - most of which is underground sprinkler system the past three weeks.

Anybody ever pursue this from a legal aspect? He bought his place six months before we bought ours next door - I had no idea that he was going to build a "permaculture" farm and run underground piping everywhere and run water all the time, and now add cattle in as well. All in a subdivision - I find this very disrespectful, dishonest and greedy.

Reach4

Reaction score
I was going to reference this thread as a similar problem, but I see it is your earlier thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/shared-well-question.56589/

From the technical aspect, there are pump controllers that will shut down a pump for a while when it runs out of water. http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/prod_sensor.html is from valveman's company.

Did you re-do your contract recently? I am wondering how you got the metering set up and the presumed agreement for electricity charge allocation.

RAM1961

Reaction score
There is a very simple solution, drill your own well
On the rez (Flathead Indian Reservation) where there's a big fight over water rights between the tribe and "everyone else" on-going. This well is on my property - I got the meters installed because I gave him a choice - meters or drill his own well. I don't know that he would be allowed to drill his own well right now but knew it would force the meter install.

The shared well agreement is just a standard boilerplate agreement. 50/50 maintenance, monthly bill paid by estimated fractional usage, etc. If disagreement exists on estimated fractional usage, install meters.

Well, I didn't have a clue he was using that much water - his place doesn't look like it. He used just short of 1000 gallons between 9 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. yesterday - I am going down to check meters here shortly so will see what he's used in the last 24 hour period.

akcooper9

Reaction score
I don't personally think 35000 gallons over 2 months time is 'alot' of water BUT I do get where you are coming from in the sense that if you are using a quarter of the water he is on a 50/50 agreement why should you be stuck with half a repair bill.

Does he have another option for water...i.e....city? Can you buy him out?

I'd start making some phone calls if I was you for another well or buying him out

http://www.yellowpages.com/polson-mt/water-well-drilling-pump-contractors

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Just install a Cycle Sensor to protect against run-dry. If his use causes a lot of cycling, also install a CSV.

When it is time to renew the agreement, prorate the maintenance.

RAM1961

Reaction score
More like 40K gallons in 60 days, and yes that is high for a couple in their late 50's early 60's - just the two of them living here. They're trying to make a farm out of their place - the well contractors and plumbing contractors around here are telling me that's quite high. Agreement does not "renew", it would have to be amended. This is a subdivision 6 miles from town. Local usage average for a homeowner in the summer is 7-8K gallons a month, 5K gallons or less the other 6-8 months.

akcooper9

Reaction score
High by who's standard? You are trying quantify x amount off water as excessive. 20k gallons a month is not a lot of water. You either need to drill a new well, buy them out or amed the contract. Else there isn't anything you can do except bother you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks