Will this toilet venting work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a toilet rough-in that was done by a plumber when I built the house 35 years ago. I never hooked up a toilet due to building dept not allowing half bath due to a slopping ceiling which never made much sense to me.

I've recently decided to install an Ultramax. I notice there wasn't much slope to the drain line and was thinking I should probably put a little more slope in it. The copper line is in the way to just pull the drain line down a bit. I can move the copper or just have the drain go under it. That's not a problem either way. My concern is the way the plumber vented the drain. In the pic you can see the vent and drain are horizontal for about about 4' before the vent goes up to the roof and the drain goes down. The third pipe on far left is for venting a bath behind the wall on left. They connect in the floor above about 3' from the floor before one goes up through the roof. Will this work? If it's not to code, what is the reasoning why this shouldn't be done. The toilet flange is attached directly to elbow on the upper side of floor.

Thanks.

koa-wc-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You're not allowed to flat vent like that. A santee horizontal like that is a no-no, as is the vent 90 below the flood level.
Since this is a toilet, which is meant to siphon, would have vented back at the wall, or even installed a wye below the 90 on the vetical where it bends down, with a wye fitting and 45 over to the vent he used.

Since that is open, you could just install it and see how it works. As longs as the vent stays clear, it works. More than likely, since the Ultramax whooshes out of there, there won't be much to clog things. If you ever have an issue, well, it's all open.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wonder why the plumber vented it the way he did? It seems like he was trying to get the venting as close to the toilet as possible. Venting back at the wall like you suggest would have been easier than what he did.

If I'm going to change the slope I might as well change the venting since I'm cutting into it and it's all really clean. Just want to double check if this is correct along with how the existing toilet vent attaches to the roof vent with a regular T fitting.

koa-wc-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks