Shower Design - How to layout six body jets

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Not all of my shower builds feature body jets but we have installed plenty of them. I'm roughing in my own master shower (finally :) ) and ordered six body jets for the master shower, a rain head and a handheld sprayer.

I ordered these round body jets from Hudson Reed online

I just got back from Mexico and in my hotel room they had six body jets set up in pairs. Three rows of two. Is this the best position for six? When I installed six before it was in a tub to shower conversion and we installed three on one wall and three on another wall. I like that set up but think maybe they will be to far apart in my shower at roughly 6' wide. The shower I did was 5' and had lots more pressure than my home.

Who has a shower with multiple body jets or who has tried out different set ups?

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Checking on the webpage I found a perfect line drawing for the body jets. I got six of these babies going in !!! I can not believe after four years the master shower build is back on. I may never leave this shower once it's finished...

ufg-hrbt701_2.jpg

Photo Source

Messing around with the trim there is a good bit of play with the cover plate. Should make picking any one of the standard 1/2" brass nipples easier. I'll mock it up as per usually to double check. Eye balling it - it looks like 3/8" forgiveness at rough in stage.

Since this will be a steam shower I'm going to make a custom Noble Flashing out of NobleSeal CIS or NobleSeal TS for the brass nipples.

Last edited:

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Lots of thinking and goodies for a personal master bathroom , John . It is hard to stop somewhere , without getting too crazy .

I did a shower where the clients decided to go with a full unit -- shower head , hand held shower and body jets -- . They are very happy with it . You only need to bring 2 pipes -- cold and hot-- to it .

You and I are custom guys , so doing it doesn't necessarily mean it should be '' easy '' . Oh, I see now -- a steamer too -- lots of work ahead of you . :D

Did you design or choose the tiles for it ? :)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The tile choice is killing me Roberto. I want to do a curved circular ceiling.... I do not want to tile until I'm fifty though. I might do an arched ceiling instead of the circular curved ceiling.

Either way I'm thinking of tile in the 3/4"x3/4" - 2"x2" size.

I'm going to build a floating shower bench set off the wall with some kind of cold water well for doing myself done in the steamer. A modern twist to a traditional Hamman.

Custom is an understatement on this job. Going to be Kick Ass. LED niche. Heated two way mirror. TV screen set inside. The whole nine yards.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
...You only need to bring 2 pipes -- cold and hot-- to it . ....

Right now all I have in the space is a 3/4" Pex Hot and Cold supply lines capped off. If I make the ceiling ceiling circular I need to move the wall out so the shower width and length are equal. Then there is the #$%^ing window which will complicate things.

I might hook up the fixture temporary to see if the body jets have enough pressure to cross in the center of the shower. If not I might curve the walls and have a body wash zone on the left and a hand held wash sone on the right.

I need to rip out the Kerdi Drain I roughed in four years back and get a better drain installed. Then there is the floor heat, bench heat and all the rest.

So much for any free time this summer.

Soccer and Showers.

I had my fill of sun and fun anyway. Burnt to a crisp right now - so itchy!!!

Roberto I'll draw out the bathroom and show you a few hurdles I have with this bathroom. I need to just start since I have been designing for too long. Time to get it done.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I emailed Hudson Reed via their Houzz profile and asked about the restrictors in the body jets. It appears they can be removed if someone was so inclined. This might make them suitable to go on either side of the shower so a 3 on the left and 3 on the right set up might be perfect.

The problem with that is both left and right are exterior walls.... Maybe if I fur out the walls 4" I can make the shower smaller and then use the wasted space for a pair of vertical shampoo niches.....

Typically I have no problem design these showers. I think since it's my own I'm agonizing over the tiniest details.

Roberto I love your shower and the use of negative space. I'm going to run with this I think. Was feeling sick yesterday so I never measured anything. Stand by for updates.

Reply post on Houzz.com

"Hi, the water restrictions can be removed by simply unscrewing the body and pulling them out, they look like a small colored disk with holes in it. However, we must recommend you keep them in as this could invalidate certain product certifications or prevent the products passing building inspection. Kind Regards, Hudson Reed"

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Right now all I have in the space is a 3/4" Pex Hot and Cold supply lines capped off. If I make the ceiling ceiling circular I need to move the wall out so the shower width and length are equal. Then there is the #$%^ing window which will complicate things.

I might hook up the fixture temporary to see if the body jets have enough pressure to cross in the center of the shower. If not I might curve the walls and have a body wash zone on the left and a hand held wash sone on the right.

I need to rip out the Kerdi Drain I roughed in four years back and get a better drain installed. Then there is the floor heat, bench heat and all the rest.

So much for any free time this summer.

Soccer and Showers.

I had my fill of sun and fun anyway. Burnt to a crisp right now - so itchy!!!

Roberto I'll draw out the bathroom and show you a few hurdles I have with this bathroom. I need to just start since I have been designing for too long. Time to get it done.

Those are some nice looking body jets , John . They will be great for the itchy spots .:)

It will probably be fun brainstorming ideas -- maybe on your blog --, as long as you do the work . :D

You will be in for a complex and time consuming -- labor wise -- project , the one's I enjoy . I have an idea for 4 jets , but I need to run it by you before .:)

Last edited:

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Having the 4 BSJs(2 per side/4' between sides) in line with the rain head above, and in the field of fire of the main head, I have absolutely no regrets. Stand over the drain, crank it all up, and it's awesome.

I would think running all you've proposed with 3/4" pex supply lines will be pushing it. With what I have, I wouldn't want to add anything else, as performance would suffer.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Thanks men. I do get itchy and very dirty at work. Maybe I best run some 1" pex to the shower.... If I need more power I can get super clean.

I can not wait. I'm going to rig all six up and pipe it off my daughters shower arm. Then I can see how much water I get. The home run to that bathroom is further and feeds the double sinks and toilet.

My master has it's own dedicated 3/4" home runs from the tank and main cold line. I can only image the showers with my wife when we both get water. Everytime I get shafted and she hogs the water. With the body jets running I could have 3 to myself and she could have three plus the rain head or handheld. That's about fair in my home.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
JFW said:
I'm going to build a floating shower bench set off the wall with some kind of cold water well for doing myself done in the steamer. A modern twist to a traditional Hamman.

I have a distributor which has the Lux Elements line , which make all kind of foam products . All kind of is probably an understatement ........... any way they make floating benches , worth looking into it .

modul-BA-FLOAT-GK.jpg
http://www.luxelements.com/lux_en/programm/modul/float.htm

modul-DA-Cross.jpg
http://www.luxelements.com/lux_en/programm/modul/dampfbad-daecher.htm

and many more options -- LED lighting , electric heating set -- .

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Interesting Roberto.

But still they are made from foam.

When I think of foam I think of Kerdi Board. Then I think of all the tests I've done with Kerdi Board. Then I remember the results. That makes me think of phone calls. Warnings that aren't warnings and then I get all pissed off.

I think foam products are crap. I formed this opinion reviewing Schluter's kerdi board and later their Kerdi Board Niches.

In my renegade, garage style - of so not proper testing in my home. My home, not a lab. I made the mistake of filling the niches up with water!!! GASP the Horror.

I found out by this reckless, totally crazy testing (which you should all know is not how to do it) that 2 of the 3 niches leaked.

So - I thank you Roberto for your idea - but foam? In my home? I think not.

Besides - I'm going to heat those benches. God forbid my ass is cold for a second.....

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I am not sure but I think you can cut them to fit your needs . Their foam is approved for steam showers and they do offer a heating seat and lighting LED option .

I thought it is worth looking into it before doing the project . I am not pushing the product . The only thing I did I test a small sample to see how it holds while submerged . No changes other than a small discoloration of the cementitiuous adhesive on the surface of the panel .

I didn't try their bench , but they seem to be very advanced in the foam technology

http://www.luxelements.com/lux_en/individuelle-konzepte/Kneipp-Rondell.htm

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I don't know . My dib. has sister branches in BC , maybe you want to go see if they keep them in stock .

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Jerry Rigged Body Jet Station

I could not wait to test drive these new body jets. I took off the tub filler and switched it out to a 1/2" pex line. One side of the tee is acting like a tub filler with a shut off. The other is juicing up three of my six body jets.

I tried a simple set up with no pressure balancing loop first to work out the spray distance. I have the restrictors in place and the three jets are awesome!

Once I mocked this up I realized I was sending water to the shower head so I pulled that off as well and hooked up my master shower head (rain head).

My kids are shocked.

They asked me...

"Daddy - isn't the pipe suppose to be inside the walls?"

LOL - too funny.

I hooked up the rain head by tying a string from the ceiling fan and then looping it over the 12" shower arm and ting it off to a screw in the ceiling! Class baby class.

My wife and daughters love the rain head the most. Much nicer than the regular wall mount shower head we have now. I picked up a pressure gauge yesterday so will get some reading and try out a few different layouts to even out the pressure on the body jets.

You boys are going to howl when you see the mock up.... Never would I do something so reckless at a clients home. But hey - it's my home and I could not wait any longer to play with my new toys.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Jerry Rigged Body Jet Station

I could not wait to test drive these new body jets. I took off the tub filler and switched it out to a 1/2" pex line. One side of the tee is acting like a tub filler with a shut off. The other is juicing up three of my six body jets.

I tried a simple set up with no pressure balancing loop first to work out the spray distance. I have the restrictors in place and the three jets are awesome!

Once I mocked this up I realized I was sending water to the shower head so I pulled that off as well and hooked up my master shower head (rain head).

My kids are shocked.

They asked me...

"Daddy - isn't the pipe suppose to be inside the walls?"

LOL - too funny.

I hooked up the rain head by tying a string from the ceiling fan and then looping it over the 12" shower arm and ting it off to a screw in the ceiling! Class baby class.

My wife and daughters love the rain head the most. Much nicer than the regular wall mount shower head we have now. I picked up a pressure gauge yesterday so will get some reading and try out a few different layouts to even out the pressure on the body jets.

You boys are going to howl when you see the mock up.... Never would I do something so reckless at a clients home. But hey - it's my home and I could not wait any longer to play with my new toys.

Its official. You're a redneck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks