Really Dumb Question: Toilet Seats

Users who are viewing this thread

dhla

Reaction score
Really dumb question. We have 1 Toto Drake 2 and 1 Kohler Cimarron in our house. My wife prefers the seat on the Toto. Both toilets recent vintage, 1.28gpf - i.e., no need to replace toilet.

Can I buy the Toto soft-close seat that we have on the Drake 2 and install on Cimarron? Would it fit/look ok?

I know - very basic, dumb question - I searched and didn't find anyone else willing to ask such a silly question.

Thank you!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
There are no dumb questions, just unasked ones. And the folks on this site are very friendly towards nice people.

So...here's the answer: except for some very-unique exotic toilets, the bolt holes in the toilet are in a standard configuration, and there are two basic sizes, round and elongated. So a round bemis/church/toto/kohler seat will mount on any standard round toilet, and the same for the elongateds. That said, sometimes a seat looks a little better or is designed to fit best on certain models, so that Toto seat on your Toto might be more aesthetically-pleasing on the Toto than some seats would; or maybe it's just a nice-looking seat! ;) Also, if your toilet is a different color than Cotton White, sometimes the color match is a smidge better for the Toto seat on the Toto than another manufacturer's seat, but the reality is that pretty close is usually good enough. Bathrooms are surprisingly-dark; we usually see the color difference only when someone takes a flash photo.

I don't know for sure what Toto soft-close you have on your Toto, because several will fit, but if I had to bet, dollars to donuts, it would be the SS114. Google that and see if it doesn't look similar. Than you can order it with confidence knowing that it will fit your Cimarron (assuming that the Cimarron is the elongated and not the round; there is a round version of the SS114 called the SS113, if you need that).

dhla

Reaction score
Thank you so much. Both are Cotton White. Both are elongated. I believe we do have the SS114 and so I will get another and put it on the Kohler. I really appreciate the speedy reply.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could temporarily swap them to see if you like the look, and when you get the new one, place it on the one with the old seat. There should not be any fit issues, but th overall look may differ.

dhla

Reaction score
Not that anyone was waiting for this earth-shattering news, but... I bought the seat from an orange big-box because of a generous 90-day return policy (on a toilet seat no less). They aren't as efficient as a "giant-river" from the Seattle area. ;)

But, I'm happy to report that a Toto elongated soft-close fits just fine on a Kohler Cimmaron. I'm fairly picky on detail and there is an almost-imperceptible difference in the cotton-white. It doesn't bother me, but just in case someone is bothered by anything beyond "imperceptible," buyer beware. The fit is perfect and the shape looks like they were made to be used this way.

For the record, the Toto seat fits the ladies in the house as more flat, and they were complaining that the Kohler seat slanted in too much. Happy wife, happy life.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
... the Toto seat fits the ladies in the house as more flat, and they were complaining that the Kohler seat slanted in too much.

Isn't it the Toto seats that are disparaged because they slant? I take it that the S114-01 is flat. The Toto seat on the Kohler bowl doesn't under-hang?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks