best tile to concrete cement

Users who are viewing this thread

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
I have some tile that I would like to set in a small bathroom. What is the best bonding cement to use to assure good adhearence to the concrete floor? Also, most likely I will need 2 wax toilet seals?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What kind of tile are you using? Are there any cracks in the existing floor? If there are, how wide are they? Also, are they just spreading cracks or are they at different heights? If the latter, you should not consider putting tile on the floor at all.

Depending on the condition of the slab, and the tile (including the size of the tile) would determine the best mortar for the job plus whether you'd need to do something else to make it a reliable installation.

Re the toilet flange...it depends on the height of the flange after the tile is installed. They are designed to be sitting on top of the finished floor (tight to the floor). If it is not, depending on how it's sitting, you may be able to use a jumbo wax ring, or you may need to use two standard thickness ones, stacked. Terry likes to use a plain one with one with a plastic funnel on top of it when the flange is depressed...the funnel helps keep them aligned. One of those used by itself in some flanges can be problematic, though, and there, a standard wax ring usually works out best.

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
Thanks jadnashua!
They are just 12" tiles that were left over from a job somewhere. (What should I know about them?) The floor has UGLY lino on it. I was going to scrape it off and go from there. The floor slab is pretty solid and crack free in other places in the shop. Removing the lino will tell the tale.
This is pretty much a goof off project, but will get the lino out and create a use for the tile.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may need to invest in a razor scraper and a lot of extra blades. There are some thinsets that are designed to work over cutback adhesive, which you'll probably want. You need to scrape off most of the adhesive, enough so that it is mostly translucent. The slab should absorb water if you sprinkle some on. You do NOT want to use any chemicals to remove the adhesive, as that will be nearly impossible to remove by itself, drive some of the adhesive further into the slab, and create a bond-breaker.

You'll probably end up requiring a modified thinset to set the tile. You could also use an uncoupling membrane, which may give you a bit more insurance, especially if there are any small cracks (Ditra is one). If you choose Ditra, you wouldn't want to use a modified to set the tile, but may need it to set the membrane over that cutback adhesive residue...read the instructions carefully, and call them for verification and recommendations should you go that route.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
.....Also, most likely I will need 2 wax toilet seals?

Two wax seals is never a good idea in my book. Better to use a toilet flange extension kit. The toilet flange should always sit tight to the finished floor tile or flooring material.

I have seen a couple times now the double wax seal fail. The repair cost can sky rocket when framing is damaged and the leak goes unnoticed for years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks