Educating The Budget Client on Tile shower pricing

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
What's with the new platform. Can we not go back to edit our posts and correct spelling? I do not see an edit button or advance button for titling.....

I've hacked back into an old post. Yes the edit button is up and running.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I would like a button that hides Jim's post from my screen. Taylor can you make something like this for me? LOL - ahhh how nice that would be

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Prepping the barrier free shower in advance....

Dro+pDown+Framing+for+Barrier+Free+Shower.jpg

John , Is that rain water?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Ok thx Jim for this input....

Why dont you price out a diy shower and actually add something to this conversation?

Afterwards we can discuss your arrival at such number $
This is fairly easy...subtract your labor costs from your total costs, and what's left is basically materials. While it is not unreasonable for a DIY'er to want to 'pay' himself for the labor, unless he's taking time out of a paying job to perform the work, it is basically free to him. For those that can easily make more working, it makes perfect sense to pay a pro to do it, as it does if you want it done faster, since a DIY'er may only be able to work weekends or take vacation to do the job.

The costs of the finishing materials (primarily the tile) can vary hugely, sometimes by an order of magnitude or more. Selecting a linear drain adds potentially many hundreds of dollars to the materials costs verses a conventional or bonded membrane drain; so, the best comparison is of basic prep up to the point where it is ready to tile, and for the typical DIY'er verses a professional, the labor could double the costs. Again, putting the tile on the area, labor could double the costs.

If you really want to add up stuff like cbu, fasteners, membranes, drains, etc...the pro may get a discount from his supplier, and be able to get them cheaper, but he'll typically charge closer to retail for them to the customer (some markup is easily justified), so the actual costs to the end user may not differ much. I won't be home until the weekend, so probably won't tally up a parts list until then, but it really isn't necessary. The major differentiator between a DIY'er shower and one built by a pro is the labor costs. A DIY'er may end up spending the same amount, but he may use that extra to buy nicer tile or trim or accessories, or he may just produce the whole thing for a lower overall cost. Given some guidance, many DIY'ers can produce fantastic results, and I've seen a lot of 'pro' (as in paying someone to do it) built showers that were just a disaster waiting to happen. There are some real pros out there, there are a lot of 'pros' that don't deserve that name.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Thanks Reach4 I just Ignored Jim! I hope this blocks his posts from appearing as well. If I wanted to read manufactures recommendations I would download them myself.

Roberto the the wetness shown in the picture was rainwater. - House got soaked by the looks of it. After the picture was taken the lock up process happened and then the radiant heating pipe and a 1.5 inch concrete pour went in. Typically I would be worried about de-laminating plywood with a subfloor like that - but not under 1.5" of concrete.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I am gone miss the drama ....... :p

I'm not. All to selling of Kerdi makes me sick. From an armchair builder no less. And his beloved Schluter products are so restrictive anyway. Who builds showers in a perfect lab setting? Who uses non-modifed setting materials? You can not find anything cheaper out there. My clients want more.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Headin out to look at 2 shower projects today.....

As a contractor one needs to look close at the scope of the whole jobsite to estimate labor and time consumption, navigating the property, loading in / out tools and materials, wheres my wetsaw setup and how far do i walk to make cuts ?

Am i walking over white shag carpet and up 2 flights of stairs?

what are the daily time parameters of the homeowners And daily set up tear down cleanup expectations etc etc

A lot goes into an evasive project like a shower rebuild.

A lot goes into the price.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I think walking clients through the process is key. Gives me a chance to sell and upsell my services and the added protection of the home. Typically I work in a day of set up and staging. The floor protection and plastic are good visuals for selling a job.

People like the reno's but hate the mess. If you care enough to factor this in I'm sue you have happy clients.

Just quoted a double shower renovation last week for October. Going down to East Vancouver today to price five shower's (New Construction) all with ACO drains. 3 curbless 2 curbed. This pad has an elevator too! What's up with that? It seems every new home in Vancouver is getting decked out with one of these lifts.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Yep and also asking all the right questions upfront to find the clients parameters of expectations .

Elevators!

Worked on a hi end project last year with a rough in shaft for a 2 story elevator lift! The budget went south and
Now they just have a shaft!! The lift will have to wait. But they got their dumwaiter goin!!!!

Life is tough for some!!!!

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
1 of the projects im quoting this week....very neat client couple wanting their dream bathroom...

lots to take in , the sunken tub will be replaced with a sunken curbless step down shower...lots of structural framing to look at. The bathroom will be split into an ensuite and a powder room, walls moved, plumb/elec re routing etc.... the one window stays otherwise we will have this gutted down to studs .

this client has chosen all their materials ( Grohe/kohler fixtures, Porcelanosa tile, etc,. vanitys and countertops.........Nice stuff.)

they however are looking for a competative price on the buildout/install.....all permitted and inspected of course...

i need to ballpark this quote before a deep detailed scope.

the client will demo to my spec, procure all fixtures and tile on site.

I need to ballpark labor and building materials, have my plumber estimate re routing/rough ins and the clients electrician will handle electrical and work with our scheduling.

these projects are hard to estimate with so many unforseens.....could take about 3-4 hrs of homework to work up a rough ballpark..............

what do my fellow PRO's think.? is it a 10K or a 30K project?????? !!!!!!!!

photo.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks