Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hello fellow forum users,

The site will be down this Thursday while my son Taylor and I improve the forum software to provide a better experience.
Maintenance will begin at 11:00 and should be finished by 7:00 PM Pacific Time
So say 2:00 PM to 10:00 PM Eastern time.

I think you will like the changes. :)
Terry Love

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have turned off registration and posting until the software is updated.
I would check back Friday morning if you have questions.
This is a major upgrade, and my server is working overtime with all the changes that you should be able to see on Friday.
Sorry for the time out.
Terry Love

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Well..............no changes yet. My son Taylor stayed up late last night, and we didn't get where we needed to get, so we rolled back to the old software for Friday.
We will give it another go this weekend. It was looking pretty good for a while, but was missing some things.

Terry Love

Taylor Love

Taylor Love
Staff member
Administrator + Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Looks nice, kind of like a blog! And, at least on my computer, it is noticeably faster.
Same here, @wjcandee . It has a better indexing system that uses less normalization so queries don't need to lock up as many tables when fetching information. Takes a bit more space, but the speed pay-off is well worth it. Also, the RAM just got doubled. Checked the stats today and we're using about 10gb of the now current 16gb. I think a next step would be a SSD and maybe a content delivery network. But that's for another day. Haha. For right now I'm just enjoying how much easier it is to use. Everything feels intuitive, you know?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Oooh. One thing that is kinda depressing is that I no longer get to see how many posts I have made, which is thousands. It's kind of fun to look at Terry and HJ and Jim from Maine and the like and see how much they have contributed, and it allows new members to see who has been really involved in the past. And I kind of took pride in that "Senior DIY Member" badge. A little bit of a sad day...

Oh, and thanks for the explanation of the computer-geek side of it, which I actually understand, having been involved in such things years ago. Sounds like a big upgrade. And although these things cost money and take time, I at least always found them both fun and frustrating to do, with fun winning out, and satisfying in a big way in the end... Congratulations on a job well done!!

Taylor Love

Taylor Love
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Oooh. One thing that is kinda depressing is that I no longer get to see how many posts I have made, which is thousands. It's kind of fun to look at Terry and HJ and Jim from Maine and the like and see how much they have contributed, and it allows new members to see who has been really involved in the past. And I kind of took pride in that "Senior DIY Member" badge. A little bit of a sad day...
If you click your avatar it says you've made 1727 posts. As for the "Senior DIY Member" title, thank you for telling me about it. Not everything made it across to the new system in the transfer/conversion process, so it helps to have input on what still needs to be added. I'll need to add those badges back in tomorrow. Don't worry. I'll make sure you get it back.

The upgrade isn't supposed to be a sad thing, it's supposed to give more life to the forum. If you have any ideas on how to improve it please let me know. As a tech guy you'll probably have a pretty good handle on what is possible. I'm going to do my best to make the forum system supportive of more communication.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Great!! Thanks!! I see my messages number now. Yay!! And thanks for being so responsive. (It wouldn't have killed me to lose that info, but it is definitely something that I enjoy seeing there... So thank you!!)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Taylor can we no longer change titles?
I left out Day in Canada Day.

I also think the title lines are useful for day to day posts. Is this gone now on the new platform?

Taylor Love

Taylor Love
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
You should still be able to change titles in your preferences. Also there's a new status update box. Still figuring out the full effect of it, but in some parts of the website that box's contents are shown as a tooltip when people hover over your name. It also makes a post to your profile. Let me know if this helps.

customtitles.png

Last edited:

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
It is different looking and using it . The girlish look -- pink -- IMO should be replaced with blue -- close to the user name color -- .

The pictures are harder to upload -- needs to be resized under 2MB -- , at leas this is how I interpret the error on loading the pic .

If more smilies could be available , it will be nice .:)

It is harder to differentiate from quotes and answers in the new format and with the spacing -- none existant -- in between the replies .

Just few thoughts , not busting your balls guys . ;)

Looks good overall , now I just need to adapt to it . Good job guys !:)

Taylor Love

Taylor Love
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
It is different looking and using it . The girlish look -- pink -- IMO should be replaced with blue -- close to the user name color -- .
The pictures are harder to upload -- needs to be resized under 2MB -- , at leas this is how I interpret the error on loading the pic .
If more smilies could be available , it will be nice .:)
It is harder to differentiate from quotes and answers in the new format and with the spacing -- none existant -- in between the replies .
Just few thoughts , not busting your balls guys . ;)
Looks good overall , now I just need to adapt to it . Good job guys !:)

Colors -- You mean the salmon/orange?
Pictures -- Changed the max size to 10MB. Good catch. Many high resolution images will be around 3.7mb. That should be good for most images. Do you know what the limit was before?
Smilies -- I will look into this. What I notice on another forum is that people will post images from the internet and they link them into their posts as a way of adding more humorous expression. Kind of like this.
Mario.jpg

Quotes -- I'm going to have to find another VB4 forum and figure out what it used to look like. Readability is always something to strive for.

Thanks for the input. :)
^You're right, we need more selection on these smilies.

Last edited:

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Nice for you to reply , Taylor . :)

Colors -- Yeah , the salmon/orange ........I would make it look like the header -- I think this is how it is called -- .

Pictures -- the pic was 2.57Mb and it didn't go through , but if most of them -- high quality -- are around 3 to 4 MB , I wouldn't change it to more than 4Mb . I am not sure how much difference is making in resources dept.

Smilies -- They are cute , the -- kinda like this ( Mario ) -- but more of the regular smilies . I think it overpowers the message ........just a personal opinion .

Quotes -- maybe looking into size proportions or just accentuate it with a darker fond ( color ) .

Thanks for taking the time to read it .:)

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
You know , I was thinking about the colors ....and this year -- the color of the year -- is Emerald .

Try to see if the year's color works with the site banners or headers . An overall year's color theme if you like . :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks