Help! How to get the Tank Rubber Gasket "Seated" Into the Bowl - Drake ll

Users who are viewing this thread

RogerPDX

Reaction score
Well... If I was being paid plumbers wages today, this would be a VERY
good day! (except my customer would have fired me)
My goodness - what a lot of work installing a simple toilet. I hope it
doesn't leak when I finally hook up the water, as it is hard to tell just how
well that wax ring is touching.

I have about 1/2" gap between the bottom of the tank and the '3 touch
points' on the bowl. It's like the rubber gasket is too fat to fit into the
hole properly - which would let the tank rest on the bowl properly.

Can anyone give me a hand here, as to how to do this?

I am weary of tightening the 2 bolts from the tank to the bowl, with
this much of a gap to begin with. BTW - I pushed and rocked the tank a
lot, but it is still 1/2" away.

Comments?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...T454CEFG-2-piece-toilet-written-by-Jamie-Love

I had my son Jamie write these instructions for installing the Drake and Drake II.
Sometimes we even go to the San Juan Islands to do plumbing work. It makes for a nice ferry ride too.

drake_install_large_nut.jpg

Last edited:

RogerPDX

Reaction score

Terry, I read your sons page (several times) and it was a big help, that's for sure. My problem is getting the tank gasket to seat into the bowl hole. it is like the rubber is toooo thick to go down far enough. Am I suppose to just balance the tank and begin tightening the 2 nuts until the tank is snug on the 3 points? I don't want to break anything tightening if that is not correct.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You balance the tank and center it up, and then start pulling it down. It helps to lean on the tank to help compress the rubber.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
You don't want to actually touch the 3 points; you want it the thickness of a business card or two away. Careful that one doesn't start touching while the one you are watching isn't touching -- you have to keep looking at all 3 points. The tightening compresses that rubber thing, on which the tank balances. When it is well-compressed, the tank will be nice and firm -- it doesn't need to actually touch the porcelain of the bowl, it just needs to be well-tight above the bowl.

Glad you got your replacement!

RogerPDX

Reaction score
Terry -
Got it! I swear to God... My first ever installation. No leaks!

If it is ok for the tank to be touching the 3 points on the bowl,
then I am done (except I am waiting for a tank lid).

Thanks for your help. Took me all day, but what the hey - It was fun.

Makes me want to change out the sink and shower next!

Thanks for your advice and thanks to the rest who gave me tips & info.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes the tanks touch and sometimes they don't. It's like they have a mind of their own.

When Jamie and I were given a tour of the Kohler factory, (no pictures were allowed) it's surprizing how large the toilets are before they go into the kiln. They lose a lot of size when the water in the clay is removed.
It's not a perfect thing with clay. And yet, we do so much with it.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The key is not to tighten AFTER they touch, or you stand a chance of cracking the porcelain. That's why I usually phrase it to stop when you are almost there. They don't NEED to touch for it to be stable, but they need to be close to compress the rubber thing enough. Terry is of course right that sometimes they touch and sometimes they don't. But what doesn't happen when it's done right is for there to be a half-inch between tank and bowl, which leaves a wobbly tank and people writing in here to ask why their tank is flopping against the wall.

Sounds like you had fun, and got it in. I understand that inclination to take on more now that you have done this!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks