Tub Spout Occasionally Discharges Water

Users who are viewing this thread

jessieg

Reaction score
In a recent remodel, I had a two handle wall-mount Newport Brass faucet set with a 1-500 valve installed. This is a tub only, no shower. The new install was approximately 8" from the old tub, requiring the supply lines and drain to be moved. The plumber used Zurn pex supply lines tied into the existing water lines, which come in from the side. Water seems to build up and suddenly dump out of the spout for no apparent reason after using the faucet. Originally I thought flushing the toilet or running the sink faucet caused it to release the water, but yesterday it happened 11 hours after using the tub. It is a sudden discharge of about 1-2 cups of water. I asked the plumber if the valve was installed upside down and he said it wasn't, but that it wouldn't cause it if it was. The hot and cold cartridges were reversed when installed, but I was told the only thing that would affect would be the direction the faucet handles turn. Manufacturer has no idea and plumber has no clue what is causing it. It probably isn't a big deal, but it is a puzzle that is driving me crazy. This was an expensive faucet and a costly, but rather straightforward installation. It should work correctly. Any ideas?

jessieg

Reaction score
My plumber offered a similar suggestion. Seems the manufacturer would be very familiar with the issue if this was the case.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can get a similar situation with a showerhead...in some cases, it can take 20-minutes or more before you can be reliably assured it won't drip any more. Because the spout is bigger verses lots of smaller jets, it is more likely to happen sooner rather than later, but like putting your finger over the end of a straw...it can hold water in the tube.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks