Submersible Well Pump Dying?

Users who are viewing this thread

joshpjost

Reaction score
Purchased a house last year in October. House has a well for irrigation. Not knowing anything about the well or last time it was used, I assumed all components (pump, pressure switch and tank tee, and pressure tank) were shot and needed to be replaced to be operational. I've removed the tank and associated plumbing adjacent to the 6" casing located in an 8 foot deep concrete pit. I decided to pull the pump, not knowing how deep it actually went.

Pulling pump was relatively easy. Ended up being about 150 feet deep, a Myers 1/2hp, 230V 4" submersible pump (looks about 20 years old) with 1" poly tubing. Over the next couple of weeks I put new electrical in the pit and reconnected the pump to see if it was operational. Ended up running, so I decided to throw it back down the casing, and viola, I got a decent about of water. I purchased a new pressure tank (Amtrol of course because I live right near their manufacturing site) and tank tee. Installed all components and let her rip.

Here's my problem: Pump runs constantly. Pressure in the tank tee never rises above 25psi. Pressure tank precharge is set at 38psi with a 40/60 pressure switch. I don't believe water is filling up pressure tank, which makes sense if well pump cannot overcome the precharge in storage tank. Please confirm that the general consensus is that my pump's performance is weak and the remedy to the solution is to purchase a new pump. I understand that there could be a leak that is allowing water to discharge into the casing, but I think this is highly unlikely. Let me know what you think.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Make sure your gauge is good. I am showing a 12 GPM, 1/2HP Myers will produce 38 PSI even if the water level is at 150'. But for that pump to be able to build to 60 PSI the water in the well will have to be less than 100' deep.

joshpjost

Reaction score
Make sure your gauge is good. I am showing a 12 GPM, 1/2HP Myers will produce 38 PSI even if the water level is at 150'. But for that pump to be able to build to 60 PSI the water in the well will have to be less than 100' deep.

The Myers 1/2hp pump is a 5GPM unit.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are implying that no water is being used when you are watching the pressure. If you have not done so, close the valve that is after the pressure switch and tank to be sure there is not some irrigation pipe accepting water.

joshpjost

Reaction score
I think you are implying that no water is being used when you are watching the pressure. If you have not done so, close the valve that is after the pressure switch and tank to be sure there is not some irrigation pipe accepting water.

Reach4, correct. I have shut off the valve after the pressure switch to the hose bib pipe. There are no other pipes other than the intake from the pump.

Reach4

Reaction score
Then I think you have thought of all of the alternatives, and your conclusion is correct.

joshpjost

Reaction score
Would a new 5GPM 1/2HP pump be capable of reaching >60psi at 150ft deep? How does one determine this? Using standard 1" poly pipe

Reach4

Reaction score
Use pump curves or tables. Note that 60 PSI is about 140 feet of head. So if you want to be able to pump from 150 feet, make sure that 290 feet is on the curve.

http://www.pumpsandwells.com/mm5/PDFs/B5-25GS.pdf is a nice manual for Goulds. It has not only graphs, but tables where the compensation has been taken care of. Other makers have similar manuals and similar pump capacities.

Note that your pump should take a minute or more to fill the pressure tank to avoid short cycling.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I understand that there could be a leak that is allowing water to discharge into the casing, but I think this is highly unlikely. Let me know what you think.

I think you need to test out that hypothesis. Assuming no other checkvalve than what is in the pump, a simple pressure test would confirm it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks