Shower Retiling: When to ReTile That Old Shower - How, What, Where and Why

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Each year it seems another product or two come into the marketplace that recommend that this is "THE" Product for Shower Re-Tiling. Is Re-Tiling your shower in your future? What products do you have to choose from? What approaches are good ones? What types of showers lend themselves to this approach?

All good questions.

Who has ever re-tiled a shower? What did you love most about the change?

For me it is the lack of big changes - a re-tile job is easy. I'm heading out next week to re-tile a kitchen backsplash and "maybe" two showers. With the success I've had using Ardex 8+9 over the last year I might entertain the idea of the dreaded tile over tile re-do one day. Doesn't seem to be talked about much here but clearly there is a market for it.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Shower Retiling - Using Ardex 8+9 for your base prep

About six months back Ardex did a training session here in Vancouver. Well actually it was in Burnaby and during the training class they showcased the fact that Ardex 8+9 can be used over tile as a prep stage for a tile over tile installation.

Last week at Fontile I noticed handouts from Mapei promoting the use of their product called Prim-Grib.

I have used both of these products but never for a tile over tile job. Having worked with both I'd put my money on the Ardex product.

Has anyone done this approach before? Tile over tile?

Looking online for all the options in this sector I found this image from a UK site.

tile_on_tile3.jpg

Imagine Source: Picture - Page

I remember something about retiling over very non-pourous substrates. I think it is that green primer is the stuff you need. I still have loads of tile to test and I did include tile over tile with either the Ardex 8+9 approach or the use of Green Skin. I have found Green Skin to be total and under crap and personally will use it for crafts and bond breakers in the future.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Tile over Tile with Ardex 8+9

Screen+Shot+2014-06-12+at+7.13.22+AM.png

We changed from white tile on the back wall to glass mosaic. Before installing the tile face got two coats of Ardex 8+9.

No grout in this photo. Looking up the wall towards the LED light diffuser

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Um..... Doug, where are you procuring said ardex materials here in the TC? Last i spoke to ardex there is no stock vendor here?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Counter Balance - have you seriously not tried Ardex setting materials? Some great products....

Avoid the Ditra Adhesive. That stuff is crap. But everything else I have tried I like.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Counter Balance - have you seriously not tried Ardex setting materials? Some great products....

Avoid the Ditra Adhesive. That stuff is crap. But everything else I have tried I like.

Its been 2 months or more since i called Ardex americas. They had at that time not 1 vendor inbthe twin cities that stock materials??? Everything was to be ordered and shipped from chicago!

Doug B?

Sucks when i cant drive and pick up materials locally? Cmon Ardex i want some 8+9

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Its been 2 months or more since i called Ardex americas. They had at that time not 1 vendor inbthe twin cities that stock materials??? Everything was to be ordered and shipped from chicago!

Doug B?

Sucks when i cant drive and pick up materials locally? Cmon Ardex i want some 8+9

You can try to ask those guys where they get the it , RSCB .

QC Contact page

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Harrison Gardner

Harrison.Gardner@ArdexAmericas.comp

Email Harrison. Ask him to help you out.

Messi with two goals today! What a #$%^ing perfect Father's Day. Got to watch my daughter play this morning in Seattle and then drove home and watched the Argentina game on the way back to Vancouver. Get home and my kids had bought me a Argentina T-Shirt for Father's day.

Certainly bets the old traditional of watching the Masters final round.

Now I wonder what else my wife has planned for me today....... Maybe just maybe..... LOL

450677976.jpg

Did you see the little back heel pass that set this goal up? Freaking love this Argentina Team. Always have.

Last edited:

DougB

Reaction score
Um..... Doug, where are you procuring said ardex materials here in the TC? Last i spoke to ardex there is no stock vendor here?

Ceramic Tile Works (in Maple Grove) is where I got the X77. They sold me Hydroban also. I don't think they sell all the Ardex products. Maybe you could convince them to sell 8 + 9. They have good in stock selection of Schluter.

I found an Ardex link to Hanks in Plymouth - I don't know what they stock.

http://www.hanksspec.com/content/29/plymouth

I was busy this past weekend installing RPM mats in my master bath. I was going to use Ardex Liquid Backer Board. But Ardex said they didn't reccomend it, so I'm using some Custom extended set SLC.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks