Replacement Compressor or Rebuilt Kit For Culligan Super S Iron Filter

Users who are viewing this thread

MikefromMi

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm having an extremely hard time finding anything on a replacement or rebuild kit for the compressor. Culligan Int'l #L4446-52 / Model # 415AA30-998D. When the compressor cycles I'm getting nothing. Inspecting the piston - it looks as if the cup once had a piece of paper or mica around it which is now torn in a section. The motor spins up fine and I cleaned all of the deposits off everything. But the water is just standing in the tube when it cycles. I blew through the check and duck bill. No problem. Also the duck bill is considerably harder to blow through than the check if anyone cares to comment that it's normal. Thanks for any help in advance, Mike IMG_20140315_160946.jpg

MikefromMi

Reaction score
I think that uses a Reed Valve.

http://www.google.com/patents/US4275999

That may be what you see that is torn.

You may be able to make a new valve using a good quality Heavy Laminating Film or something similar.

Good Luck on your project.

Hi,
Last night I pulled the compressor off and took it apart. See the "ring" around the piston that is torn. Looks like Mica paper. I'm wondering if the top is screwed on to hold the piece in place. Yes, there is a reed on the piston head that closes as it pushes air toward the hole in the head. The head on the back side has a reed to stop the air from coming back when the piston is pulling away from the head. Both appear to be stainless. Don't see any issues there. I believe I get "blow-by" around the "ring" or "cup" as I've seen it in several part manuals that are similar to this compressor.IMG_20140401_173844.jpgIMG_20140401_173937.jpgIMG_20140401_174049.jpg

MikefromMi

Reaction score
OK,
Well I'm getting no where with this thing. I have an extra 1 gal pancake compressor. I'm going to hook it up and set it at 60psi and see what happens. I can by a new one at HF for 60 bucks. Drop a line if this seems like an issue. It is oil-less.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
For $60 it may be best to replace it.

I could not even see what you were talking about (Mica paper ?) on the pictures you posted, can you get a closer shot ?

It does look like it has reed valves, and the valve looks bent. It may not be sealing.

Them pumps are very simple, but I have never worked on that exact model.

You may be able to make it work, by turning the valve over. Normally they set flat against the surface, In the resting position.

https://terrylove.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24140&d=1396440939

Good Luck.

Last edited:

mightymoose

Reaction score
Are you still working on this?
I recently replaced my compressor. I found an exact replacement without going through Culligan. It was still pricey but half the cost Culligan wanted.
You want to find the AC version of the Thomas 405aa38.

I sent you a private message with contact info for where you can get a new compressor if you want one.

WayneC

Reaction score
Are you still working on this?
I recently replaced my compressor. I found an exact replacement without going through Culligan. It was still pricey but half the cost Culligan wanted.

I sent you a private message with contact info for where you can get a new compressor if you want one.
Would you send me the link also? I have the iron clear.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I could not even see what you were talking about (Mica paper ?) on the pictures you posted, can you get a closer shot ?
Maybe he's talking about what looks like a seal of some sort -- look in the 3rd picture, there's a flat piece of something between the upper and lower halves of the piston, cupped upward, trying its best to be a piston ring. It's all chipped around the rim, and probably isn't sealing worth a darn.

MikefromMi

Reaction score
[QUOTOmightymoose, post: 421816, member: 59722"]Are you still working on this?

I sent you a private message with contact info for where you can get a new compressor if you want one.[/QUOTE]
Hi, Normally when I get cornered on a repair I just hit the forums and go. This time it backfired. I had read how much all of this stuff cost at Culligan and started looking elsewhere for a fix. Finally up against a wall and not wanting to purchase new I stopped at our local Culligan in Romeo, Mi. The guys hooked me up with the stupid proprietary washers for the head for nothing. I missed one up sliding the head back on and they gave me another. Once all connected I found the comoressor issue. They sold me one slightly used with the checks for 50$. She's running fine. I know the substrate is about shot and the head metal is rusted pretty bad. But it will get me through till I can find a deal on another. If I go new, the guys in Romeo will get first dibs if they sell outright for me to install. Excuse the spelling as this forum sucks on mobile. When I cursor over the fix the screen jumps all over the place with their dam ads.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks