Plumbing walls ( Not that kind of plumb)

Users who are viewing this thread

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
I have seen some unfortunate tile installations, especially uneven bad tub deck reveals, and horrible changes of plane in the corners.......it almost always directly reflects the price the homeowner paid.

Whether its a tub surround alcove, or a 3 wall capture shower, 4 wall capture, neo angle wall or ceiling. Especially if its a Remodel (and in many cases new construction) you should spend time getting your walls and ceiling....

A. Plumb

B. Square

C. In plane

D. Level (ceiling , tub deck, floor perimiter)

This is a skillset that is hard to understand and master especially in a neo angle build, it should be something your tile shower builder should talk to you about, This may reflect the difference in the price you get quoted from one contractor to the next...

Many pros can still float out mud walls perfectly meeting all the criteria above, but that is a skill unto itself and not recommended for a novice, so we find that cement board or other CBU type materials can be manipulated with shims. Among other things this may require some additional framing, blocking and you should pay close attention how far out you "fur" your walls and be sure to compensate with longer fasteners/screws..

Taking the time to get this right "First" will result in the best visual outcome and actually help you speed up the layout and tile setting process while minimizing your need to "float" your tile, it will help you end up with even reveals throughout your installation and you will be glad you payed the extra time and or $ to do this ( you just dont know it yet!)..

If you are installing say small mosaics and even 3x6 subway you need to have flat in plane walls.

John? can you work up a nice graphic detail of what this all means to the DIY homeowner or unskilled tile person?

Roberto, How do you get your walls Plumb, square and in plane...?

Jim please refrain from the obvious installation manual pasting.....and thanks in advance JIM

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Counter Balance it really depends on the time line.

The client.

And what the setting materials will be.

Lots of time we tweak the wall studs with door skin. Some times we scab on new 2"x4" 's to fix wall studs. But the real winner is my power planner.... That tool kicks ass and the wood chips go flying....

Of course I'm not suppose to use the power planer the way I do (deviates from printed instructions) - but it does tear up the high spots nicely.

But in the end the tile choice and setting material dictate the prep needed a framing.

And Jim please respect Counter Balances request. None of the boys here want to here from you...

I just got a great ideal for a new graphic! LOL - I kill myself

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
John, Thats to simple an answer( planer excluded! I just hate ruining my planer drum/blade on nails......).

We all know that 1" or mini mosaics require a flat in plane surface ( penny rounds on dental floss mesh come to mind!!)

Now a big 12x12, 12x 24, or say 4x4's even Us pros can float as we set.... but the novice cant float typically.( whats floating?) .......So If I am prepping a shower or tub alcove for say A client that intends to tile it themselves like we see here on Terrys site looking for tips...DIY, or A general contractor that has just a decent tile setter... Im getting plumb, square, and in plane for the extra hour or 2 involved I think it saves the installation at times ..........the end result wins both ways? NO?

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
If you are installing say small mosaics and even 3x6 subway you need to have flat in plane walls.

Roberto, How do you get your walls Plumb, square and in plane...?

CB , most of the time I am not involved in building the wall -- already prepped -- , too late for studs correction . In this case , I usually do it with the Ultralite , same technique as floating with mud .

Budget is always too low and prepping is not even considered -- time frame and necessity -- .

This is a ceiling in need of prep . 1'' in 4' -- carpenter said everything will be perfect .

Shower prep & installation 004.jpg

And there are some tiles in need of cleaning -- wash one by one -- before installation . Also not in the budget , but no way around it .

Problematic tiles -- washing needed 003.jpg Before

Problematic tiles -- washing needed 013.jpgBefore and after .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks