Looking for advice on best material for shower P trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Sluggo

Reaction score
I'm putting in a shower located on a slab. The slab was plumbed for this when the house was built, and I have a 12" X 18" hole in the slab which has a capped off ABS drain pipe to connect the P trap to (and a properly plumbed vent coming up through the slab right next to this drain pipe). My shower drain assembly is 2" PVC, so I will have to make a transition from PVC to ABS somewhere. Once the P trap is installed and the drain assembly is connected to it, I plan to fill the hole partially with sand to cover the drain pipe and most of the P trap, give the drain assembly a foam wrap, and pour 4-5 inches of concrete to bring the hole flush with the slab. For the PVC to ABS transition, is either if these options better: 1) install a PVC P trap and have the transition occur between the tail end of the PVC P trap and the existing ABS drain, or 2) install an ABS P trap and make the transition between the bottom of the PVC shower drain assembly and the front end of the ABS P trap?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It hardly matters where you use the transistion coupling. I would do it on the vertical. I use a banded coupling made for plastic pipe. I don't use glue.

Sluggo

Reaction score
Terry-
1. Banded coupling rather than glue joint even though it will be inaccessible after I'm done installing the trap and re-pouring the slab?

2. Any preference for ABS vs. PVC in terms of resistance to cracking, etc.?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Terry-
1. Banded coupling rather than glue joint even though it will be inaccessible after I'm done installing the trap and re-pouring the slab?

2. Any preference for ABS vs. PVC in terms of resistance to cracking, etc.?

I use banded couplings all the time. They are always inaccessible. I have not found a glue yet that works on ABS to PVC
I carry ABS fittings in Seattle, so that's what I use. PVC would be fine too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks