Dropping an electrical line....

Users who are viewing this thread

theMezz

Reaction score
I have a room on 2nd floor and want to drop a line into the basement ...
I found a way .. using the space around a radiator pipe in the crawl space..

It's not a big hole around the pipe.. but their is some space...

what do I use to drop the line?

I am first going to try a weighted string .. or should I use chain or something heavier .. and if that fails.. should I try a cable of sorts?

suggestions?

It is for a 5000-8000 BTU AC .. on a dedicated line .. is a dedicated 110 outlet ok?
should I use #12 or #14 wire?

thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the breaker box in the basement or on the 2nd floor? Oh, wait. You want to run the line from the basement to the second floor.

A "fish tape" is the normal tool for fishing wires. I am not saying that running your cables along the radiator pipe is acceptable.

I would run 12 AGW, but 14 AWG is probably enough. 12 will give less voltage drop, but is a little less flexible. Any chance you might want 240 V for a bigger AC later?

Last edited:

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
I prefer a chain or fibreglass rods/fish sticks.

The A/C unit will have a rating on it that you can use to decide what size wire to run.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The amp load of the heater will determine the wire size. Electric heaters are usually rated by watts, not btu's. A sash chain is better because it will drop vertically, and you can snag the end with a wire hook if you miss the opening at the bottom.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You do NOT want the wire running right next to a radiator line...the insulation is not rated for that, especially if it is a steam line. Now, if you can easily keep it separated from that line (make a hole nearby, but not through the same one), that probably would work. If you look at the insulation on any compliant wire, it will list the temperature range, and a radiator line can exceed that. Sometimes, it may be easier to run the wire up into the attic, then find a way down from there. If the new a/c unit draws more than about 12A, you should probably run a 20A circuit which would require 12g wire. The instructions will usually say what the supply needs to be, and yes, it should be the only thing on that circuit.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
You do NOT want the wire running right next to a radiator line...the insulation is not rated for that, especially if it is a steam line. ...
Not really something I would worry about with modern ROMEX®.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not really something I would worry about with modern ROMEX®.

Many radiators run with 180-degree water, and if steam, will be a fair amount hotter. THey usually print the rating in degrees C on the cable, so that would be around 82C and could be either higher or lower. Might be fine, might not be, check to be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks