1 circuit/2 gang 3 way switches- Does this look right?

Users who are viewing this thread

cbailey

Reaction score
Hi All-
Would appreciate any feedback about the attached diagram.

I'm not a homeowner working on a basement finish project and want to have my plans tight before submitting for a permit.

Any guidance is much appreciated!

Attachments

• Wiring-diagram.jpg
    Wiring-diagram.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 110,874

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It looks good, but would look less like a "plate of spaghetti" if you had left the green wires out and just said everything will be grounded. In fact, if you use plastic devices, you will not be connecting the grounds to the boxes anyway.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
What you have will work but I would bring power directly to the switches in the bottom box, two wire switch leg to each set of lights out of the switch box and only run the three wire from switch to switch.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I would bring power directly to the switches in the bottom box

That would be a personal preference, and might depend on the physical arrangement of the wires relative to the boxes.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
quote; I would bring power directly to the switches in the bottom box

That would be a personal preference, and might depend on the physical arrangement of the wires relative to the boxes.
One more reason to do it besides personal preference is it is the easiest way to comply with recent code requirement to have a neutral at every switch. 2014 code has backed off on some of the locations but the rule still exists.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; it is the easiest way to comply with recent code requirement to have a neutral at every switch.

It is a "dumb" requirement, and it is only "easier" if it is "easy" to run a two wire to the switch location. In many instances that would require a 3 wire to the switch, it the leg is being dropped out of the fixture to the switch.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
It is a "dumb" requirement,
I agree.
and it is only "easier" if it is "easy" to run a two wire to the switch location. In many instances that would require a 3 wire to the switch, it the leg is being dropped out of the fixture to the switch.
Those instances are very rare when you are starting from scratch.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
quote; it is the easiest way to comply with recent code requirement to have a neutral at every switch.

It is a "dumb" requirement, and it is only "easier" if it is "easy" to run a two wire to the switch location. In many instances that would require a 3 wire to the switch, it the leg is being dropped out of the fixture to the switch.
IMHO, it is only "sort of dumb". The way things are going, in a few years, a good light bulb may end up using not much more power than an electronic lighting control. In that case, having a neutral to power the control is probably better than relying on residual current through the bulb...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Those instances are very rare when you are starting from scratch.

Not in my experience. Quite often the power feeds to the light fixture in the ceiling, and then 2 wires are dropped to the switch to control it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks