Pressure Regulator Noise

Users who are viewing this thread

blatz

Reaction score
I am having this issue with my new 1" pressure regulator. I read in places about fixes for water hammer, but this doesn't seem like water hammer. I also read about need a heat expansion tank, but when I turn off the cold water feed to my hot water heater the noise still comes out. This would lead me to believe a heat expansion tank would make no difference.

I just redid the plumbing and replaced my 1/2" copper feed from the meter with 1" pex and replaced the 1/2" regulator with a 1". On the 1/2" we did get noises like this occasionally, but this is all of the time. I am open any ideas or suggestions. Thanks.

Video of issue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPQ8xRBbjPk&feature=youtu.be

blatz

Reaction score
Just to clarify. The sound happens when values not fully open or are reduced. So Toliet, and sinks do it, but the bath and hose bibs don't if they are full open. But the shower does. I added a Expansion tank, but it made no difference. Someone from another forum commented this is called chattering. Looking online I found someone saying I could have the wrong unit. I have a 1" 25AUB-Z3.

Reach4

Reaction score

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 25AUB-Z3 should be fine. I like that pressure reducer. It should have an arrow that points for the water flow direction. I've never installed one backwards, so I have no idea if it would even work in the wrong postion.
A valve part way open does cause vibration. Make sure all the stops are set for full flow. It does look like a nice repipe though.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I've never installed one backwards, so I have no idea if it would even work in the wrong postion.

I know of some plumbers who have done it. The valve will work, but usually squeals or chatters.

blatz

Reaction score
The 25AUB-Z3 should be fine. I like that pressure reducer. It should have an arrow that points for the water flow direction. I've never installed one backwards, so I have no idea if it would even work in the wrong postion.
A valve part way open does cause vibration. Make sure all the stops are set for full flow. It does look like a nice repipe though.

It is installed right way, with the union facing the cityhttp://www.watts.com/pages/view_image.asp?imgId=776 . I am seeing that using the manifold value was bad example. It makes the sound when any water is running without being full open. Such as turning on a facuet, the ice maker, or the shower. Also, it at times will come to a stop, then start again. I will make another video.

blatz

Reaction score
It is installed right way, with the union facing the cityhttp://www.watts.com/pages/view_image.asp?imgId=776 . I am seeing that using the manifold value was bad example. It makes the sound when any water is running without being full open. Such as turning on a facuet, the ice maker, or the shower. Also, it at times will come to a stop, then start again. I will make another video.

So sometimes it does this.. when I just leave the tap running.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV_pSXdHV2I

Or this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA70xxhWT8Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXh2MUQhiVI

blatz

Reaction score
You are there so I have to take your word that the water is flowing in the right direction, but that is the sound of a PRV installed backwards.

The direction in the original video I posted has the union facing away from the manifold.....

As in the thread with rayjoe123, I upped my pressure from 50 to about 66 psi and the chattering has gone away. I did this by turning on a faucet with low flow that was causing the issue and upping the pressure until the chattering stopped. Now just a whine when the water is turned on and off and not during operation. There was whine from my expansion tank that continued after the water was turned off, but I figured it was because of it being pressurized at 50psi still and removed it in the meantime.

There is a very small amount of chatter still with a very low flow, but I am giving up for the day. Will start with that issue tomorrow and then up the pressure in the expansion tank and reinsert it to the system.

blatz

Reaction score
The direction in the original video I posted has the union facing away from the manifold.....

As in the thread with rayjoe123, I upped my pressure from 50 to about 66 psi and the chattering has gone away. I did this by turning on a faucet with low flow that was causing the issue and upping the pressure until the chattering stopped. Now just a whine when the water is turned on and off and not during operation. There was whine from my expansion tank that continued after the water was turned off, but I figured it was because of it being pressurized at 50psi still and removed it in the meantime.

There is a very small amount of chatter still with a very low flow, but I am giving up for the day. Will start with that issue tomorrow and then up the pressure in the expansion tank and reinsert it to the system.

So increasing the pressure more didn't make any more of a difference. I charged the expansion tank to 70 psi, because that is about the average pressure now. In any case the expansion tank will stop my pressure relief value from dripping, but for the noises on turn on and off I will just call a plumber. Thanks everyone for showing me the places I should be checking, but sometimes.... you just need professional help. :0

blatz

Reaction score
So increasing the pressure more didn't make any more of a difference. I charged the expansion tank to 70 psi, because that is about the average pressure now. In any case the expansion tank will stop my pressure relief value from dripping, but for the noises on turn on and off I will just call a plumber. Thanks everyone for showing me the places I should be checking, but sometimes.... you just need professional help. :0

So my calls to professionals mostly went unanswered and the one guy that came by had never seen a manifold before and had no suggestions that this forum didn't suggest already. So I replaced the Watts with Zurn 70XL from Home Depot and all of the noises went away. Pexsupply has offered to let me refund the Watts unit. I don't know if it is was actually bad or just not the right one for my situation. Re-pipe, done! finally. Again, thanks everyone for all of the suggestions.

index.php

Looks like it kept my attachments. I was gonna say the best way to set your pressure alone, is to facetime from you iphone to your ipad. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3994.jpg
    IMG_3994.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_3902.jpg
    IMG_3902.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 514
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks