Water pipe sizing flush valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Sluggo

Reaction score
What is the situation? A residence? A dormitory? A prison? I don't know about Canadian requirements, but since a modern toilet will only use about 6 liters, and the tanks refill quickly, and the likelihood of a lot of people flushing a lot of toilets all at the same time is low, I would find it hard to believe that this would be a practical or code issue. Just my 2 cents...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Quote; Is there a code for a certian amount of flush valve toilets where you have to increase the size?

Assuming that by "flush valves" you mean "flushometers", then of course there is, and even if there were not you would have to do it to maintain volume when they were operated in unison.

Yngwie_69

Reaction score
FLush Valves

Quote; Is there a code for a certian amount of flush valve toilets where you have to increase the size?

Assuming that by "flush valves" you mean "flushometers", then of course there is, and even if there were not you would have to do it to maintain volume when they were operated in unison.

There may be a possibility of 8, first one requires 1". If i recall you had to up size to at least 2 1/2 to had worst case scenerio.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The actual pipe sizes, depend on the locations of the valves relative to each other and the length of the supply piping. Normally, you could feed 8 of them with a 1 1/2" line, but job conditions could alter that.

yesky

Reaction score
I have the same question: since almost all the states in the US and Canada have same requirement in the codes: the first flush valve water closet has 40 Fixture unit, second has 30 FU, third has 20FU, the fourth has 10 FU. The plumbing code now is changing from 10 FU in the past for public use to 40 + 30 +20 +10.... should we increase the water supply main size? The 1-1/2" pipe now can support 8 WCs under the new plumbing code?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You work backwards on the pipe sizing charts. If after adding up the fixture counts you have to increase size to the meter, then yes.
With Flushometer toilet and urinals, you need a big enough supply to handle it.
Tank type toilets can typically get by with smaller main supply sizing than Flushometer types.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks