Solenoid valve for shower

Users who are viewing this thread

moretools

Reaction score
Hello All. First post but long time lurker on the forum.

I am remodeling my bathroom and adding a one piece glass wall for the shower. It's 69" long by 32" wide, so my plan is to leave about 24" open on one end and just walk around the glass wall to get in. My challenge is how to turn the water on without getting sprayed by the initial cold water. The control valve is at the end of the wall where the shower head is installed. Unfortunately, I'm past the point of moving the shower control to a more convenient place.

So here's my idea, let me know your opinions please. If I add a solenoid valve (http://www.omega.com/pptst/FSV40.html) to the output of the Delta mixing valve, I could put a switch on the wall (someplace dry) to actuate it. Then I just leave the water controls in usual position, with Delta control valve open. The water stops at the solenoid valve until the switch is thrown. I know there are ready made solutions for this for $100's of dollars, but this would solve my problem for less than 100 bucks.

Will it work? Has anyone done this? I assume it's safe since the solenoid valve is designed for 110VAC operation and UL listed.

Thanks for all the great information on the site!

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
you will still get a slug of cold water because all the piping in the wall and on its way to the shower will be at roomish temperature

moretools

Reaction score
Yes, nhmaster you're right. Bu I'l be someplace cozy and dry when I flip the switch, then enterthe shower after a few minutes.

Asktom

Reaction score
Use a tub and shower valve with a diverter spout, a "toe tester". You can run the water until it is up to temp then divert it to the shower head. When you shut off the valve the riser to the shower head will drain so that slug of cold water won't be lurking the next time you shower.

spaces_hg_05.jpg

Or a valve that diverts to either the shower head or the tub spout.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you shut off the water on a standard Delta valve in the open postion, you will be mixing hot and cold across the valve.
Other fixtures in the home will be affected.

Redwater Diverter

Reaction score
Hello All. First post but long time lurker on the forum.

I am remodeling my bathroom and adding a one piece glass wall for the shower. It's 69" long by 32" wide, so my plan is to leave about 24" open on one end and just walk around the glass wall to get in. My challenge is how to turn the water on without getting sprayed by the initial cold water. The control valve is at the end of the wall where the shower head is installed. Unfortunately, I'm past the point of moving the shower control to a more convenient place.

So here's my idea, let me know your opinions please. If I add a solenoid valve (http://www.omega.com/pptst/FSV40.html) to the output of the Delta mixing valve, I could put a switch on the wall (someplace dry) to actuate it. Then I just leave the water controls in usual position, with Delta control valve open. The water stops at the solenoid valve until the switch is thrown. I know there are ready made solutions for this for $100's of dollars, but this would solve my problem for less than 100 bucks.

Will it work? Has anyone done this? I assume it's safe since the solenoid valve is designed for 110VAC operation and UL listed.

Thanks for all the great information on the site!

Hello, The way I do it is to use a tempering valve in association with a Redwater Diverter valve. The Redwater valve is optional. If you put a tempering valve in your hot supply you can dial up your preferred temp and then just use your hot tap. If you use it with a Redwater Diverter you can stand in the shower and just turn on the hot tap. There will be the little slug of cold bewteen the Redwater Diverter and the shower rose - but this will only be a little cold water to dance around for about two seconds. Enjoy.

moretools

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input.

Good point Terry. If I do this, I'll use two solenoids, one hot and one cold.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You started with a bad idea, and are stumbling around and just making it more and more complicated,and needlessly expensive. Now you will need two toggle switches and an instruction sheet to advise HOW to operate them in order to even get a shower. One simple way to do it, would be like I did in my previous house. I connected the hot water to a valve with the handle outside the shower and then ran from that valve to the shower riser. You turned it on until the shower ran hot, then turned it off and went into the shower and used the regular controls.

Last edited:

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
How is your shower any different than any shower. Sure its longer but so what? Get in, turn on the water and stand off to one side to adjust.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks