Need Design Advice with yard hydrant

Users who are viewing this thread

michnels

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to use a water line that is located outside my barn. I was hoping to get some advice on how to best approach it.

This is the current line available. It is about 2ft away from the barn

barn-spigot.jpg

barn-spigot-ground.jpg

I am looking to do the following:

- Leave a spigot available where the current line is
- Run a water line to a finished room within the barn
- Put another outdoor spigot on the opposite side of the barn

Thus far I have been thinking:

- Run 3/4" PEX up the side of the barn into the attic and attach an elbow
- Run 3/4" PEX from the elbow to a 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/2" barb tee (for water line going in finished room)
- Run 3/4" PEX from barb tee to elbow
- Run 3/4" PEX from elbow down other side of barn for new spigot

I will put the PEX into sleeves and box in the line on the outside of the barn for insulation and protection from sunlight.

What I am not sure about is the connection to the current spigot (pictured). Any advice on how to accomplish the connection to PEX?

Thanks! -Mike

Attachments

• Barn Spigot.jpg
    Barn Spigot.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 631
Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The simple answer is that you CANNOT connect to that yard hydrant. You have to dig down to its connection to the water line and disconnect it so you can attach your new pipe and run it into the building. As far as HOW you run the piping, you can do it anyway you think it will work.

michnels

Reaction score
The simple answer is that you CANNOT connect to that yard hydrant. You have to dig down to its connection to the water line and disconnect it so you can attach your new pipe and run it into the building. As far as HOW you run the piping, you can do it anyway you think it will work.

Thank you for the quick response. Can you elaborate a little more as to why I cannot connect to that yard hydrant (thanks for teaching me the term)? I am going to have to break up the cement pad that is poured. Before I did that I wanted to double check.

michnels

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response. Can you elaborate a little more as to why I cannot connect to that yard hydrant (thanks for teaching me the term)? I am going to have to break up the cement pad that is poured. Before I did that I wanted to double check.

I did a little more reading and may have answered my own question - it is one piece (hydrant plus pipe). I have a slight drip from the hydrant and it is not frost proof so replacing it makes since no matter what. I just hope it is only a couple of feet down.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What you have is a frost free yard hydrant. The lever at the top opens and closes the seal at the very bottom of the standpipe.

yard_hydrant_woodford.jpg

In Washington State, in the Seattle area, we need to bury the bottom two feet to prevent freezing.

michnels

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. Any idea on why there may be a cement slab on top (pictured above)? Before I attempted to break it up I thought I would ask. Also - I cannot find a cutoff for this water line. I looked everywhere under the house etc. House was built in 88. Do you think it was ran without a cutoff or am I just not seeing it? House and Barn were built at the same time.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
YOu may have to turn the house water off if it does not have an individual shutoff to that hydrant. It's probably not buried, since they poured a slab over it, so first place I'd look is where the line leaves the house.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; 88. Do you think it was ran without a cutoff or am I just not seeing it?

Most likely there is none, because, since it is frostproof, it would not have to be shut off in the wintertime.

Reach4

Reaction score
Any idea on why there may be a cement slab on top (pictured above)? Before I attempted to break it up I thought I would ask.
I expect that it was mainly to provide a clean place to stand rather than a muddy place. The concrete does add extra support to the hydrant.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
barn-spigot-ground.jpg

Normally a grounding rod for an electric panel is in damp earth, and has a wire connected to the grounding bar of the box.

No need for a shutoff here, as it's a frost proof.

Normally for support, I attach these to a post, but concrete would work too.

yardhydrant_installed.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks