New to plumbing. Watch out! What would you do in this situation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Living_Legend

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new here. Name Mike. Need your help. I am not a plumber at all. I have remodeled my kitchen from top to bottom and last thing I need to do is instal the new deep sink.... which has caused me problems. It is an old house. What would you do here, i am lost. I wish i could just add a 3 inch extension to the black pipes but they don't make them. Only cornering pieces can screw on.

What would you do? Thanks in advance!

Mike

20140320_214814.jpg20140320_214822.jpg20140320_214840.jpg20140320_214903.jpg20140320_214914.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The only thing that should thread together is the two sides of the trap, but you have the entire trap installed upside down. If it is cemented in, the easiest thing to do will be to cut out the sanitary tee and start over with new components.

Living_Legend

Reaction score
The only thing that should thread together is the two sides of the trap, but you have the entire trap installed upside down. If it is cemented in, the easiest thing to do will be to cut out the sanitary tee and start over with new components.

This was done before I moved in to this house. it is cemented in. the piece I am holding in my hand is the only thing I removed. If you look at the top of the pipe going into the way the piece goes into the wall and the other piece is right against it. I have no idea how i am going to cut that out and replace it.

Is cutting it off from the main pipe then capping it off and then starting over from the main pipe lower under the sink an option? The owner before me did everything wrong, electrical, plumbing, walls, and everything. I think he guesses as he went so I cant be too mad at him because I am doing the same with some research. He probably didn't have forums and YouTube like I have.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You need to continue with the vent.

The p-trap you have, because it's upside down, creates an S trap. Since the vent is lower than the trap, it can siphon itself dry. The trap arm for the trap needs to be at the same level as the vent, not above it.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Its ABS and old ABS at that. The chances of chasing the pipe out of the fitting are pretty slim. Worth a shot but I'd be prepared to do some cutting.

Living_Legend

Reaction score
Well I called a plumber. :) I hate to give up but this is important and I dont want to cause more problems. I have done everything else myself. I lost this round.

How much is a normal price for just this? Cut pipe, new pipe, and to the drain?

Also I planned to do the faucet myself after this is done....

I live in Maryland if that matters.

Living_Legend

Reaction score
Attached is a picture of what i have done so far. This is my first time doing a kitchen.

Attachments

• 20140321_110406.jpg
    20140321_110406.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 321

Living_Legend

Reaction score
actually me and my brother in-law will attemp it this weekend. going to take the entire back of the sink out and start over. If we figure it out i will cancel the plumber i set up for next week.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you are undermounting a 10" deep basin, you should drop the trap arm to 16" off the floor. That gives you the option to use a disposer later.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks