Custom's Kerdi Membrane

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Custom's Sheet Membrane

Looks like Custom Building Products is tired of loosing market share to Schluter and has entered the Sheet Membrane Category. This would be perfect I think for all those people who RedGard their Kerdi Corners.

I wonder if Custom will allow this two tiered waterproofing system?

Interesting.

I wonder if they allow modified thin-set to be used like Noble Company.

Here is a video sneak peak of the newest sheet membrane on the market.

A lot of the builders I sell my ACO drains to like to install them over the Kerdi Drain (point drain). I will pick up one of the new Custom drain's soon and work out the process of how I would install an ACO linear drain over the the Custom RedGard sheet membrane system. I'm sure the drain and sheet membrane are either produced by Durock (CGI), Durval, Jagger or Schluter and private labelled for them.

Noble Company makes Noble Seal TS for Dal Tile. Jagger makes Wedi's sheet membrane. Who makes Custom's I wonder?

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Kerdi Like inside & outside corners from Custom Building Products

ImageGen.ashx

Clipping the corners on these inside corners must have been some way around a patent issue I'm guessing.

Product Data on these Corners...

• Easy to cut and adjust
  • Suitable for all tile types
  • Installs over cement backerboard or gyspum wall board

Designed for use with modified and non-modified thin-sets

Our waterproof and vapor-proof RedGard® Fabric Membrane Outside Corner Seal is a fast and easy way to prepare the corners of a shower. It is easy to apply to the substrate, and helps to prepare showers for tiling. Apply the corner seal for full coverage with the other members of the RedGard® fabric membrane family to provide a durable protective layer for your tile installation.

Some big bold claims here. I'm going to look up the perm rating but vapour proof I think should be replaced with vapour resistant. Approved over drywall? WTF - another shitty specification just like Schluter's and Ardex's.

Love the modified thin-set spec - much better than Kerdi's.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Shower Arm Waterproofing by Custom

ImageGen.ashx

I like this version over the Kerdi one - but it looks a little loose.

So easy to make this yourself onsite anyway....

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
The recommendation of using both mortars -- unmod and mod -- was present on the TDS for the RedGard fabric membrane a while ago . Now it is very vague , limiting it to use the proper mortar for the specific substrate . I guess for the tile or stone the same would be applied .

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/TDS/TDS-276.pdf

If you look at the ICC-ES Report No. PMG-1188 , you will find part of your answers .

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Information on RedGard sheet membrane via the John bridge Tile Forum

If you need more info on this membrane I found this link on the John Bridge Tile Forum.

It appears from reading the posts here that the version of RedGard is thicker than Kerdi. I wonder if it is thicker than Kerdi DS or NobleSeal TS.

It looks like at first they did not recommend drywall and then they did a take back and did recommend drywall.

It also looks like Custom Building Products tested the lap joints with modified thin-set and found they hold water.

I wonder why RedGard works this way and Kerdi does not...

So odd.

More info on RedGard: http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107822

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
How much thicker is RedGard than Regular Kerdi?

Thanks Roberto - have you tried it? The link above is talking about the liquid membrane not the sheet membrane. Red Guard liquid waterproofing sucks *** - hate it.

How much thicker is the RedGard sheet membrane than regular Kerdi.

The one thing I like so much about Kerdi DS is that it is much thicker than Kerdi and can hold a crease - like the Noble Seal membrane. Unlike NobleSeal TS with Kerdi DS you can still see your transfer through the membrane.

I wonder if you can see through the RedGard membrane?

So many questions.

I'm not surprised no one the John Bridge forum has shown any installs - Do you know if John Bridge banned those types of posts Roberto? Maybe CX did? Or perhaps the regulars there know not to showcase Kerdi's new rival. I had a good laugh over the guys saying that it's too thick. They have no doubt never worked with Kerdi DS before...

You know whats coming boys. Head to head battle.

Shear testing Show Down.

My money is on the new kid. Who wants to bet me that the new RedGard membrane out preforms Kerdi by at least 10%. Vegas I still owe you $2.00.

Double or nothing on this new test?

Last edited:

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Did you read the link ?

No I didn't try it .......I am not a testing facilityLOL.:D

I am pretty sure it does what it says .......you know like the Kerdi , Provamat , etc.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
....I am pretty sure it does what it says .......you know like the Kerdi , Provamat , etc.

You can't believe what they say Roberto. Remember that Schluter says right on the box their shower niches are waterproof and vapour tight. Yet when tested 2 of the 3 leaked and none can be used in a commercial steam shower.

The real testing happens at the Sunny Crest Lab - out in North Vancouver. That is where we separate the men from the boys..... I'm so on it. Most of the products from Custom I hate to be honest. I do love their backer board but that is about it. Pro-lite is OK but not worth the price. I am curious how the new membrane works and wonder what the price point will be.

I'll make some calls today and find out where I can buy some....

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
It does what it says -- stopping the water or waterproof -- . But I know you will put it to tests .;)

JW said:
Pro-lite is OK but not worth the price.

What do you mean ?

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I'm holding off on this one, and letting my 2 bucks stand.

There will be plenty of sporting opportunities.
I have 3 more bathrooms after the current. They'll all be built with shit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks