Hot and cold water reversed. How do I fix it?

Users who are viewing this thread

NAD

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought a house and the hot and cold water are reversed on my shower faucet. When the dial is set to hot, cold water comes out and visa versa. I took the faucet apart and the attached pictures show what I found. It doesn't appear that I can take it apart any further. Does anybody know what I need to do to fix it? The metal plate that surrounds the valve shown in the pictures is held firmly in place by grout, so even if I unscrew the visible screws, that plate won't come off without damage. Do I have to take it off?

Thanks in advance.

NAD

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 715
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,075

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some cartridges (I don't know if this one is one of them) can be reversed simply by taking the cartridge out and turning it 180-degrees then reinserting it. One of the pros will know.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unscrew the large "nut" holding the cartridge in, (do not remove the screws holding the plate, because that will not have any effect on what you have to do next). Remove the cartidge carefully so you do not drop any parts, although it should stay together. Rotate it halfway, 180 degrees0, and reinsert it then put the nut back on and try it. it should work properly. You could have a Delta valve "knock off" copy.

NAD

Reaction score
Thanks HJ, and sorry to be dense, but in the attached pictures, which part is "the large 'nut' holding the cartridge in"? Nothing seems to budge and I don't want to tork anything harder until I know what I'm supposed to be turning.

SHR

Reaction score
The silver looking nut holding the grey part in.
Often the nut holding the cartridge in gets stuck in place. You may have to use some penetrating oil like P-Blaster on the threads in order to remove it. Use a large channel lock type plier or a pipe wrench on the nut. Worst comes to worst, cut off the nut with a Dremel type tool and purchase a replacement nut. Do your future self a favor and use silicone lubricant on the threads prior to replacing the nut when re-installing.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Removing the escutcheon may prevent your scratching it during your efforts.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF the nut is stuck and it is a "Delta knockoff", it could have the three small tubes connecting the two halves. In that case you DO want to remove the escutcheon plate so you can "hold back" on the body while you twist the nut.

NAD

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I got the nut off, but I forgot to turn the water off first so I ended up soaked :) So to any other newbies out there who come across this thread, turn the water off before you unscrew that nut!

Anyway, I rotated the cartridge 180 degrees and got everything reinstalled and the hot and cold water now work correctly. Thanks again! Great forum!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks