Reparing Unlevel, Broken Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
How would one go about repairing this short of ripping up the subfloor and replacing the whole damn thing?

In the picture; the lefthand side is the back of the flange. The screws have failed. When you tighten the bolts it just pulls the whole flange up, but the toilet still stays somewhat secure so I think it's relying on the pipe being up against the framing in the floor. My problem is the flange is cracked where the bolts go, and the bolts try to slide off the flange.

IMG_8869.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If underneath is a basement or crawlspace, I might cut the closet bend off and start over from there. The floor needs to be fixed and/or filled to provide a flat surface for a new flange on top of the finished floor. The riser needs to be reasonably straight for the flange to be level, and always use a flange with a stainless steel ring.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If that broken slot is the rear of the flange,(and if so I cannot imagine how it got broke), the the bolts go in the two slots. Your picture does not indicate that they are cracked, but even if they are, they look good enough to hold if you use nuts and washers to secure the bolts to the flange, (which ,I and many other plumbers, always do anyway), so they cannot slip out. The unlevel does not appear to be bad enough to cause any problems.

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Thanks, I have a toilet on there now but I forgot to use bolts with a nut to the flange so as it is now the bolts are crooked and near the edge and ready to slide out of the slots if the bowl ever gets bumped or plopped on aggressively. I'm contemplating pulling it back up just to replace the bolts but I think that may be a waste of time as it's secure as of right now.

I'm never happy with any pot I use (even a Drake) so I have a tendency to swap them alot to see if I find one I like better, which I know sooner or later this flange will break completely.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; so I have a tendency to swap them alot to see if I find one I like better,

Are you that guy who has a row of old toilets along the side of his property instead of a hedge? I hope you realize that the SEAT is what makes a toilet comfortable, NOT the ceramic bowl.

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
quote; so I have a tendency to swap them alot to see if I find one I like better,

Are you that guy who has a row of old toilets along the side of his property instead of a hedge? I hope you realize that the SEAT is what makes a toilet comfortable, NOT the ceramic bowl.

Haha absolutely not. And I have a seat I like.
I need to save up and just get a Drake II, only thing is I don't like that they only come in ADA height.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks