Compression fittings and brass pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Gravity

Reaction score
Hi, I was going to install shutoff valves on existing 1/2" brass cold and hot water lines. Can I use valves with 1/2" compression inlets? Do they play nice with brass pipe? Or should I use 1/2" sweat connection?

If I sweat it, is there any need to modify my copper pipe soldering technique for brass pipe?

Thanks!

And before anyone mentions it, I know PEX is awesome and the greatest thing since sliced bread, blah blah blah but it isn't in the budget for this renno.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A threaded brass nipple needs threaded stops.
1/2" copper can use either sweat on stops, or compression.

1/2" copper is 5/8" OD

angle_stops.jpg

Last edited:

Gravity

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Terry.

As a hypothetical, what if I cut back existing brass pipe with a sawsall and there was no threaded end left? Could you use compression on that?

Thanks again.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks for the response, Terry.

As a hypothetical, what if I cut back existing brass pipe with a sawsall and there was no threaded end left? Could you use compression on that?

Thanks again.

I would not do that.
I'm not aware of a compression fitting for those. There are plenty of stops that thread on though.
It's an easy job to spin on a new stop.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are no "compression", or solder, fittings for brass pipe. They are threaded and screwed. What are you trying to do? How about a picture, in case you are describing the task improperly?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suspect that the OP cut off the thread on the brass nipple.

If that's the case, unscrew the brass nipple and replace it with a new one.

Gravity

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll just spin on a new top as Terry suggested.

I am actually just in the planning stages of a small kitchen renno and the 1/2" cold and hot water pipe under the sink is brass so I was just wondering if I could just cut the pipe back with a Sawsall and get new shutoffs with 1/2" compression fitting connections to be used on the brass pipe. I know enough about plumbing to be dangerous but everything in my house is so different from modern construction standards that I always make sure I come here before putting saw to pipe!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What is the OD of the brass pipe? The stuff is pretty stiff, so a compression fitting probably wouldn't seal, even if the size was okay.

FWIW, in MA, doing ANY plumbing without a license and a building permit can get you into hot water, so beware.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks