Grounding a Jacuzzi Bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

scolby

Reaction score
I have a Jacuzzi bathtub to install and it says it requires:
separate GFCI, 15 AMP circuit
AND it says "using a #8 solid copper wire, ground the pump motor to the house electrical panel, or approved local ground. A grounding lug is provided on the motor"

does this mean that I need to install a ground wire from that grounding lug all the way back to the breaker box panel?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It is the installer's responsibility to install it in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, so yes, that is what it means.

scolby

Reaction score
Thank you. Do we just run that wire exposed along side the romex going back to the box?

Reaction score
I just helped remove a jacuzzi bathtub and noticed the grounding wire from the motor to the cold water copper pipe supply for the tub. Would the cold water supply pipe be acceptable as an "approved local ground"? Wondering if the tub I helped remove was installed incorrectly or if cold water supply copper pipes are okay to use for ground.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; if cold water supply copper pipes are okay to use for ground.

At one time it was legal, but not any more, because there is always the danger that someone will replace a section of it with plastic pipe, or isolate it with "dielectric" connectors.

Reaction score
quote; if cold water supply copper pipes are okay to use for ground.

At one time it was legal, but not any more, because there is always the danger that someone will replace a section of it with plastic pipe, or isolate it with "dielectric" connectors.

Ah okay, that makes sense. A little bit older home, so maybe legal back then.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The codes are written for those 'what if' situations, and over time, more of them get discovered and various fixes get applied (the codes are a living thing - they change). Way back when, there was no approved plastic piping, and it was considered a viable grounding point. Today, the pipes can be bonded to ground, but cannot be a viable ground by themselves.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Do we just run that wire exposed along side the romex going back to the box?

Yes, that is fine.

Just to add, the #8 bonding wire will not enter the jbox that will hold the tub receptacle. Typically the bare wire will simply come up through the subfloor, or out of the wall near the physical location of the motor.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Just to add, the #8 bonding wire will not enter the jbox that will hold the tub receptacle.

IT would not be much good if it did, because there should be a grounding lug on the pump motor for that wire to attach to.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks